Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog Lines for Fax and External Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjc2013

Technical User
Jun 4, 2013
GB
Hi there hope everyone is well.

Release 7.6 Nortel CS1k 2500+ extensions.

At the moment we use a media converter to connect faxes to the CS1K. However having had a bit more time to look at our set up I have discovered that we have the ability to create analog lines. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start! I can create an analog line with a TN but of course a TN means nothing to a fax machine.... Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I also need an external bell which I also thought could run off an analog line....

Is there an old fashioned hardwired configuration?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

The TN is nothing more than the physical port then you have to assign a DN to the TN, just like a digital set.

Sorry I still don't get it.....

If i want to assign an extension to a phone I assign a extension to a tn then i enter the tn number into the phone - the phone then connects to the cs1k they have a little chat firmware updated and all that then the extension appears on the phone. I can assign a n analog tn to a number but I can't enter the tn into the fax......

cheers

That's true for an IP phone but not a digital or analog. Forget IP, this is way different. The IP TN is just software. The digital and analog TN's are software and hardware equipped.

Before IP phones, You had to have a pair of wires run point to point from the phone to the physical PBX. TN's are the physical ports that wires attach to. IP phone emulate TN's. That is why when you print one out it says:

REQ: prt
TYPE: tnb
TN 160 0 0 0
SPWD
DATE
PAGE
DES

DES MIS
TN 160 0 00 00 VIRTUAL <---------------------- VIRTUAL
TYPE 1140

Aha thanks for the words guys; so if we have an analog card installed (64 ports apparently) will they have been cabled to a frame then?

Or am i still missing the point!

thanks again.

Analog and digital cards are 16 ports each wired with a 25 pair cable from the PBX to the MDF.

I just had a look round the switch room and I found the cabling to the mdf - excellent thanks for your help - wont do anything now its a bit "Friday afternoon" to be experimenting!
Cheers

I would agree, never start anything on a Friday that could ruin your weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back