Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

analog line question

Status
Not open for further replies.

2glad4u

Technical User
May 22, 2011
SG
Is there a way to find out in CS1000 system if a device is connected to an analog line? coz i want to pull out all unused lines. Thanks for any help given.

nope, we just disable the TNS for a few weeks and if no one calls complaining there is an issue, we remove em.

also, you can look at the bix block to see any that Don't have a jumper on it, those should be good to go (unless they are setup for forwarding reason only in software)

Thanks for the reply. but really theres no way to find out from the system if an analog line has a device connected to it or not? anyways thanks Triton101 for the advice.

Or run a CDR report on them and look for activity that way.

I've done that - and of course, only to find out the hard way that I've deleted TN's that were still being used, just hadn't been used for the period of time I ran the CDR report for (i.e., postage meters, etc...).

It also goes to show why it's important to have good up-to-date DES and CPND data in your switch, and maintain that data, so you know what you're deleting.

I'm not sure if we're answering your question correctly. Would you restate more detailed information on what your attempting to accomplish.
Are you simply trying to find all analog phones? or are you looking at your Phone blocks 66/100 and trying to determine which ones are analog?

It sounds like he's trying to find a way to IDU analog sets.

Another, yet PITA way of doing it, is to get what the phone company calls a point or kick meter. You'd lift the jumper from the pbx, and then clip the meter on ring/tip going towards the set, and do a kick of the switch.
When I worked for the phone co years ago, that's how we determined if phones were plugged in at the house. Easy for 1 line POTS trouble, more difficult for a large pbx.

i.e. Put the leads of a meter (set to milliamps) in between one lead of the cross-connect and the TN (so you are in series with the loop of the line) then call the phone. The mA will be higher if there is a device at the end. Modem, phone, fax - they are all detected.

If you are really creative, you can make a "rig" where you pull out a shelf tail feeding an analog card and put your contraption with 25 pairs fanned out to a split 66 block that has the oppsite geneder on the other side of the block. One amp cable goes to the shelf, and the other to the MDF cable. Your split 66 block is the in the middle. Then you can meter and call each one without the risk of breaking cross connections at the MDF.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com
--

Wow, the response here is overwhelming and really appreciate all the advice. Anyways, I'm just curious if nortel has this feature because i've heard that AVAYA is able to do this, not sure if its true though.

And my objective in wanting to have this feature is to simply determine unused lines since the property im working with has around 500 analog lines mainly for EDC and FAX machines, no phones. And aside from our lines not being accurately documented and labeled, dpartments and sales counters here are constantly moving without even informing us from telecom. Now were running out of analog lines and in order to support 100 more EDC machines slated for installation, I need to buy some more analog cards.

So i want to save some cost by re using all those un used lines (which i think would be close to a hundred) with the less possible time needed, which obviously if we can look it up through the system would be the best way to do it. And since its not possible then all the tips given here are really useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back