Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog, Check Signal Cable error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlav

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
JM
Recently bought a Samsung 226BW LCD monitor. Connected it to my ATI all-in-wonder Radeon 7500 video card via a DVI-I connector - -
Power on PC and got 3 small colored squares (r,b,g) and the following message on the screen:

Check Signal Cable

Analog
--------------------

Got the same result with the 2 video cables that I got with the monitor. My old CRT monitor works ok. What can cause the error?

My guess is that you are plugging the DVI-D cable that came with the monitor into the graphics card, then into the adapter which is plugged into the monitor VGA connector.

It won't work because the DVI-D cable doesn't have VGA capability. There are several possible solutions:
Replace the DVI-D cable with a DVI-I cable (has 4 extra pins gor VGA). Or use a VGA to VGA cable with no adapter. Or use a DVI-D cable with no adapter.

BTW, I just bought a Samsung 204B and have tried both VGA and DVI-D cables. I cannot discern any difference in video quality between the two.

Removed adaptor. Connected package DVI cable to video card and monitor's DVI connector. Got same error "Check Signal Cable Analog". Can't use 15 analog cable that came with package because video card don't have connection for it. Video card has 24 pin female connector. LCD monitor came with 2 cables, 18 pin and 15 pin. CRT monitor works ok with adaptor. Should I adjust any video card setting(ATI a-i-w 7500 Radeon), BIOS setting, previous monitor setup?
Video card is not seeing LCD monitor.

Contacted Samsung support. With the D-sub (analog) cable connected to a DVI-I adaptor I booted, pressed F8 key and chose 'VGA Mode'. Changed monitor display settings to 1680x1050. Shut down and remove D-sub (analog) cable and connect DVI cable. Not getting video signal with DVI cable. Anyone know what settings on the ATI a-i-w 7500 card I need to change to make DVI cable work?

Booted without pressing F8 and selecting VGA Mode. AT 1680x1050 the screen looks much better and it can hold much more information than in VGA mode. Only thing is that screen is not as fast. Is this ok? ATI 7500 card has only 1 connector, DVI-I. Had to connect the D-sub cable via a DVI adaptor. So card supports only 1 monitor. My OS is win2kpro.

I don't think that the 7500 supports two monitors at once anyway. The screen not being as fast is a direct result of having more pixels to display. Twice as many pixels take twice the time to draw. The 7500 is no speed demon so it shows.

Thanks, Considering the ATI X series video cards. Which is better Diamond, Saphire, His or plain ATI?

Several things to consider along with your new graphics card:

- power consumption. Cards like an X1650Pro will require a 350-400W power supply.

- the video connectors: for a given model, the different makers sometimes offer different connector combinations. ( HD15 + DVI, DVI + DVI)

- your system is AGP I guess. The mobo has to be 4x or 8x for the ATI X series. Although they use the same radeon chips, an X1650Pro AGP with be announced as 4x/8X by ATI and 8X only by Sapphire. This one's a bit weird.

- your operating system. If you have WinXP all is fine. If you have Win2K, ATI does not officially support it anymore on its more recent boards, like the 1650. But the 1600 does.

Are you playing or planning to play recent 3D games? If you don't, or if the rest of your system won't cut it anyway, then a lower end card like a 9550 will fill the bill easily.

I had a similar problem with my samsung lcd and ati video card.
If you are getting "Check Signal Cable" when you are using the DVI cable then it is probably either a bad cable or the signal source on the lcd is stuck in analog mode.

Here is the link to the solution I used to solve my problem.

I had to press the button on the monitor with the "left arrow symbol" to change it from analog to digital and it worked immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back