Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

an unusual question about the goto.<Next Scene> command 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

canix

Technical User
Jun 1, 2000
US
Ok.. the deal is simply this.. I am trying to activate the goto.<next scene> action from a Movie Clip.... Now.. I know this probably doesn't make much sense.. but work with me here... The entire Scene is a well organized set of clips and graphix stored and run from the first frame.

Everything is in the First Frame essentially and now I seem to be out in the cold with programmers block.. PLease help a weary desginer... Ooops... Uhhh... I mean if anyone could help out.. I would greatly appreciate it....

~CaNiX~ Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

ok clarify some.
you are trying to go to another scene from another scene?
right?
It doesnt matter if scenes are only one frame. That will not affect navigation through different scenes. Remeber to use gotoAndStop instead of gotoAndPlay or it will play right past first and only frame of the one frame scene.

If you're trying to move the main movie to the next scene from within a movie clip, you'll have to use a frame label with _root as in the following:

_root.gotoAndStop(&quot;frame_label&quot;);

Movie clips, or loaded movies on other levels, see the main timeline (when the whole thing is compiled), as only one big scene, even if it holds several of them!
In case of loaded .swfs loaded on other levels, the syntax for the above would be:

_level0.gotoAndStop(&quot;frame_label&quot;);

Regards,
new.gif

Ok... to clarify. you talkin to a cut-bait programmer.. hehehe

Here it is.. I have a scene that is simply a set of clips in the first frame. Now, one of the movie clips is prety much the just of the scene. call this clip &quot;The Tunnel&quot; I am sync'in music with it, so it needs to be timed just right.

Now, my essential plan here is that once this clip is finished, to cut all the music (easy enough) and to go to the next scene...

Now however I can do this, is ok with me. If there is another way to do it, I am all for it..

Any Ideas????

I appreciate the help...
~CaNiX~ Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

You haven't clarified much of it!
I'd even say you've confused me even more!

Guess Defcon is more on your wavelenght than I could be!

If not, make your .fla available (with a link) or e-mail it to me at teltiper@hotmail.com.
One .fla might be worth, in your case, a thousand of your words!

Regards,
new.gif

Itz totally possible that I was made to stay outta the world of code.. but I don't give this up very easy...

You'll be getting something from ... packhunter77@hotmail.com

Thankz for anything you can do.....

~X~ Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

I accept your thanks for what I consider... I've already done!
Will check my e-mail... To see if I can be of any further assistance!

Regards,
new.gif

Oh to heck with it... HERE IS THE LINK..... brother.. I cannot stand web based email...

That'll show ya that I have no organization skills and that i just can't get the code above to work....

Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

No wonder web based mail won't work... when the file is 3.5MB!
Downloading now!

Regards,
new.gif

well... My hope is that you have agood connection.. you'll probably find a lot of misc. crap in there as well.. Sorry if there is..

Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

Yes! You could call it misc. crap! You did so yourself!

First of all, your preloader ain't workin', 'cause there's no checking code in that scene! On the web, guess you'd see it, because the movie is streaming until it's ready to show up something... Which it actually does at some point! Amazing!

Secondly, you have so many stop() actions in there... No wonder, this movie ain't moving on to the next scene!
If you want to get something going here, first in the IntroTitle movie clip, on frame 115, change your script from:

nextScene ();

To...

_root.gotoAndPlay (3);

That'll get you going from the Tunnel scene to the Intro scene.

Then in the Intro scene, change the script on your Start Button from:

on (release) {
nextScene ();
}
on (release) {
DoubleVision1.mp3.stop();
}
on (release) {
stop();
}

To simply:

on (press) {
gotoAndStop (&quot;Valentine1&quot;, 1);
}

That'll get you going from the Intro scene to the Valentine1 scene.

There's a lot more crap, as you've said (I didn't!), in there, but at least the scene to scene thing will work.

If you want to see it actually workin', send me your e-mail address to oldnewbie@hotmail.com , I'll send you a link to your file on my site... Unless you want me to post it publicly here, in which case your Valentine won't be a surprise anymore!

Busy day, today Monday! Might not be able to be back before this evening!

Regards,
new.gif

All my thanks to OldNewbie... Although I have a long way to go... I got a few more steps in today....

How about a vote as a helpful post then?

Going to bed!

Regards,
new.gif

One more thing... Discovered this morning!

On the Start button:

on (press) {
nextScene ();
}

Would work as well as:

on (press) {
gotoAndStop (&quot;Valentine1&quot;, 1);
}

The reason for that is that the button is not within a movie clip, and is directly on the main movie's timeline.

Regards,
new.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back