Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An RPC communications error occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdnewell

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
US
Hello,
I have two Exchange servers running 5.5 SP4 in my Organization in two different facilities connected by a T1. Since I have out the second server in I get entries in the application logs like below. Mail is still getting through but I am concerned about the errors. I looked this up on Microsofts site and they reference a change in SP4 regarding the way RPC binds using DNS instaed of the ip address but it looks like both servers have no problem communicating with each other. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated,
Thank you.
Mike

Here's the errors I get:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeMTA
Event Category: Interface
Event ID: 9318
Date: 5/27/2002
Time: 7:43:48 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVERNAME
Description:
An RPC communications error occurred. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality Table (LTAB) index: 58, NT/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722, Bind error 1722, Remote Server Name SERVERNAME [MAIN BASE 1 500 %10] (14)

And I get these from the remote server:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeMTA
Event Category: Interface
Event ID: 9322
Date: 5/27/2002
Time: 7:45:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: REMOTESERVERNAME
Description:
An interface error has occurred. An MtaBindBack over RPC has failed. Locality Table (LTAB) index: 191, NT/MTA error code: 1722. Comms error 1722, Bind error 0, Remote Server Name SERVERNAME, Protocol String ncacn_ip_tcp:SERVERNAME.DOMAIN[1047] [BASE IL INCOMING RPC 36 507] (14)

I am getting the same error on my Exchange server. Did you find out anything?

John

Just put in our first Exchange 2000 server (running SP3) and it's throwing up these errors when talking to our existing Exchange 5.5 SP4 machine. Not just a Exchange 5.5 thing then!

I have the simular setup two exchange servers running exchange 5.5 sp4 in two different facilities connected by a t1. I completed tests with rpc and they pass and many ping tests and everything looks good. I have had some email error messages from the end user now saying they can not be delivered but there is no email backed up in the queues at any point in time. The email messages say there is congestion in the mta queues which I look and I see 0 messages in the queue and everything is flowing.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

My email is jeff.wood@advancepcs.com

Jeff Wood

Cured I think.

I got good results from the RPC ping tests, so was a little stumped.

Turned out my DNS wasn't quite running correctly.

I believe the Exchange 5.5 box (which hadn't been restarted at all) was using old DNS enties and needed to be flushed with an 'ipconfig /flushdns', also removed an external name server from it's config that I'd missed from our w2k upgrade. Ensured the new Exchange 2000 server was registered correctly with DNS, so that I could ping it by full qualified domain name from the Exchange 5.5 box and vice versa. Once I got this working correctly the problem disappeared.

Hope that helps someone!

Steve.

Hi,

I too had a similar problem on my LAN. I could resolve it by updating the hosts file with the remote server name address mapping.

Hope this also works for you.

Thanks
Ravi

Upgrading a site to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. Removing 5.5 server. Unable to bind entries in the eventlog
in windows\schcache folder find file with old server name spookily related to LDAP and the above article - is the new server still trying to commnicate via LDAP to the old one? what if I delete this entry? r are there ads edits that could be looked at?

I have resolved this problem, amazingly enough MS Support were correct, all we needed to do was restart the MTA [i know iknow I didn't think it would work either....;-)]even though the server had been restarted since the 5.5 server was removed from the site, stopping and restarting the MTA was all that was required , errors gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back