Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An Easy One - BE KIND _ NOT VERY TECHNICAL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imanewbee

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
Hi all!! I am an extreme newbie so please bear that in mind. I just got a 1924-en and have three pc's networked through it. That works fine - what I want to do now is connect the switch to my cable modem. Sounds easy enough, but I tried patching the cable modem into one of the 100Mbps ports and got a link light but cannot seem to get any of the pc's to communicate with the cable modem. Of course I don't have an IP address for the cable modem which is where I fall of the technical spectrum. I also cannot telnet into the cable modem to do any sort of configuration. So does anyone have any suggestions of how to make my current config work? I just want to be able to utilize my broadband connection through my network. I would be willing to purchase a good broadband router (If anyone has any equipment suggestions), but if I can hook a hub up to this stupid cable modem and make it work, it seems like I ought to be able to use my switch. Any constuctive input (and, well, okay... slight bantering) is greatly appreciated!!

Step 1:

run to your nearest geek store

step 2:

plunk down your favorite VISA/MC card for a Linksys Cable router with four switch ports

step 3:

run home

step 4:

install Linksys per instructions. It's web based so it's fairly easy to cofigure

step 5:

Take a digital shot of the 1924 and sell it on eBay for an outragous amount of cash

Step 6:

Buy us all a beer with the proceeds from the ebay sale ;-)

In all seriousness, the Linksys ( or equiv) will work great for your application.

Mike S "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Okay, okay, I know!! But seriously, is there a viable Cisco router solution....since I am trying to LEARN this stuff?!?! I searched through the archives and noticed some people used 2500's etc. Any good suggestions? Thanks for the feedback - I apologize for my naiveness - LOL!!

Get a 2514 or if you are cramped for space, a 1605. Both are dual port ethernet and you feed the Cable modem into one and your LAN into the other. You need to run the latest IOS in order to get DHCP on the cable ethernet port.. I'm assuming here that your cable company uses DHCP to assign the IP. The "modem" is a dumb device.. basicly a bridge without an IP. Both of thesee routers can run the firewall version of IOS which is recommended as is running NAT for some protection against the black hats, script kiddies and the like.

I run a 2514 myself and I use a Linksys in front of the Cisco only because i have not upgraded the 2514 to use DHCP on the ethernet port. Works great :)

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Hey Thanks!! You probably just saved me as I was planning to buy a 2524 to use with my ISDN (back-up) line, but I believe I will get a 2514 now. A good opportunity to learn anyway!! Don't worry I will serch through the archives for info on config'ing it before I post any questions. I noticed there were already many posts on setting up a 2514 for Cable use. Thanks again!!!!

or maybe you could get a copy of Mandrake Single Network Firewall (for FREE) running on a pentium 60 with 2 NIC cards and run your wan interface to your cable and your lan interface to your switch... just a cheap alternative...

Have you assign IP information and a password to the switch?
You assign an IP address to the switch so that you can use the switch management interfaces and so that the switch can communicate with local routers and the Internet.

Contact your service provider for IP information. If you really want to learn post the OS in use and we can give you the command to verify ip settings. IE: IPCONFIG for win2000, NT; WinIPConfig for XP; winipcfg for 95/98. MacOS does not include IP diagnostic utilities. You will be interested in the default gateway and DNS server results.

Then take these results and set the following options:

-------------Settings------------------
[ul][li] IP address[/li] [li] Subnet mask[/li][/ul][ul][li]Default gateway[/li][/ul][ul][li]Management Bridge Group[/li][/ul][ul][li]IP address of DNS server 1[/li][/ul][ul][li]IP address of DNS server 2[/li][/ul][ul][li]Domain name[/li][/ul][ul][li]Use Routing Information Protocol[/li][/ul]
-------------Actions-------------------

Route once; switch many

uuuhhh.. guys.. take a look at the date posted.. it's from 1 year ago..

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back