Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

an activex control on this page might be unsafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz1000

Technical User
May 28, 2003
GB
I've added som vbscript to a web page. Everytime the page refreshes I get the message :-

An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interect with othe rparts of the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?

Is there any way I can stop this occuring?

It should be related to your IE internet security settings. Try lowering them.

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

I dopn't want to change any settings. Isn't there a way I can do this from the vbscript?

Nope. The only thing you can do is to figure out which control IE considers to be unsafe and not use it. This is to protect users from naughty programmers who want to mess with their computers.

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

Unless the activeX object you are trying to access is digitally signed, you'll always get the error you report, if security settings are configured to report it. I had this problem with FileSystemObject once (needed to check existence of a file) with the same results - but on using Microsoft.XMLHTTP object there was no problem.

So, it may mean looking for an alternative, what are you trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back