Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amuse the inexperienced

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarch1

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
I am setting up a small network. I have a Win 2K server with active Directory running. It is plugged into a hub. I have 5 Win 98 workstations plugged into it. How can I get those to see the Win 2K server? Note: I will be running a DSL on the Win 2K server which will give me an IP address but don't have it installed yet. I have given the Win2K server a bogus IP 10.10.2.0 to try and get the Win98 machines to see it. First of all, am I better off install Win2k professional on the workstations which is a definite option? I have tried everything and I know it has to be the Win98 machines. I have the DNS settings on the workstation with the IP address of the server but they still won't see or ping each other. I have the client for microsoft networks on and tried logging into the Domain with still no results..
please help me to figure out the best way to get this up and running in a time effective manner

I would definitely go W2K pro. Better networking, plu you have free toys that come with it like the option of starting a command prompt and typing net send netbiosname "Hi there" and it just pops up on the screen, just one of the nifty things 2000 does. It's just a better os all around. I think it's the best they've done. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
René Descartes (1596-1650); French philosopher

Just a quick thought, if you're using a class C subnet (255.255.255.0) with the IP address you gave the server (10.10.2.0) it may have difficulties because it's seeing it as the network address. Try using 10.10.2.1 instead.

The workstations can't ping each other by IP address? Are you using DHCP or fixed addressing? Can they ping the server, and can the server ping them?

That being said, Win2k Pro has many many improvements over Win98, so if there's no particular reason to stick with 98, go to 2000.
-Steve

First, upgrade. Put the dsl dns number on the server and if your dns servers address in it's own dns settings under tcp/ip. On the workstations, only put your dns ip in the dns settings in tcp/ip. After the upgrade, start with ipconfig /all and make sure the tci/ip settings are correct. Try a route print at dos next, and check the numbers. Make sure the first gateway is the correct one. Might want to think about taking 1 w2k pro, making it a server, create a domain and start running ad. Nifty little tool. (When I say little, that's probably the biggest joke of all. It's huge and it's great.) You gonna be running rras? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
René Descartes (1596-1650); French philosopher

I think I used the subnet 255.0.0.0 which could be one issue. No..the server can ping the workstations or vice versa.
I had the server with IP 10.10.2.0
and the first workstation I tested at 10.10.2.1

If you're using a class A subnet (255.0.0.0) then forget what I suggested about the .0, it's not a factor. So you're saying the server can ping the workstations, the workstations can ping the server, but the workstations can't ping each other? And additionally, they can't log in to the server? Assuming your hub is working properly, and all your machines are using the same subnet, non-duplicate 10.10.2.x addresses, server's address for gateway and DNS, and they're all single-NIC machines, you've got me stumped. By chance are you running ZoneAlarm or some other kind of personal firewall on any of the machines?
-Steve

Sorry steve..writing too fast..
The server can't ping the workstation and the workstation can't ping the server (it's actually just one of the workstations at this point that I'm testing)...
One thing I don't have is the server IP as the gateway on the workstation...I have it for the DNS entry...should it be both places?
And further more, the server has two NICS

No worries. The gateway shouldn't matter much in this circumstance, as we're not routing. For that matter, DNS shouldn't matter as we're not (yet) concerned with name resolution.

Are both server NICs plugged into the hub? Can you give the non-10.10.2.0 NIC an address of something completely different, say 192.168.1.1, or can you disable it? I've experienced dual-homed (more than one NIC) machines having problems if I'm not careful about their addressing.

Also, though this doesn't give as quick a solution, can you plug one of the other workstations in, give it 10.10.2.2 and see if the workstations can ping each other (which will narrow the problem down to the server)?
-Steve

I would try the gateway myself.W98 uses DNS but relies on WINS more. You could also check the servers wins settings to ensure NETBIOS over TCP is enabled to allow it to see downlevel clients.

One NIC is not installed...(I canceled the setup so it wouldn't cause problems)
I'll try the two workstations pinging each other also and if not I'll just go back and install Win2Kpro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back