Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

@#$%&* "USB device and XP" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bickfordc

Vendor
Feb 25, 2003
US
This cheap Vivitar Digital Camera and XP are about to make me lose it. Under normal conditions, after plugging in the camera and powering up, the device is recognized. However, it seems to keep losing its ass once every other week. It shows up in device manager as having no problems, it powers up in the system tray, but no show in "my computer". Why can't life be simple, I sure as hell do not want to roll back the system again....At first I though I had it figured out from killing the logitech keyboard, which would temporary solve the usb problem. I assume that microsoft does not like logitech and wants all consumers to buy microsoft keyboards and mice...

I had a similar problem getting a camera and printer to work. The trick that FINALLY fixed the problem for me was to uninstall the USB host controller/root hub from Device Manager. Then I rebooted, XP found the new hardware (usb) automatically and re-installed it. Everything runs fine ever since. I also showed no problems in Device Manager or anywhere else. It drove me nuts for a while.

Well, if you want something done, get off you butonna and do it yourself,[noevil] you must not depend on everyone else. Come to find out, if a usb device, such as a card reader or digital camera does not have a drive letter to go to after C drive and any CD drives. This is what causes it to freez up. I have three computers on my network and all were mapped F and G. D and E were my CD and CD Writer. After moving mapped drive F and making it available, the computer picked it right up as removable disk. [afro2][afro][morning]

I'm not sure if drive letter changing is your solution. If you have C through E used then the removable media would pick F.

I have a logitech Itouch internet keyboard that causes problems if it's on the same USB bus as my Canon G2. It happens, try using PS/2 connection on keyboard or puttin them on different host controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back