Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

&buttontext hot key malfunction in forms 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardyboy

Technical User
Apr 19, 2004
GB
I have a simple C#.net 2003 forms application with a few buttons in the form. Using the standard & in front of the button text, I have operational hot keys when run from MS Visual Studio (2003). If I move the resulting EXE file to another computer, or if I just double click on the EXE in either the release or debug folders (in either bin or obj folders) the underscores on the button text disappear, although the hot keys do actually still work. In fact the whole application works, it just lacks the underscores on the button text.

What is going on?

Have you tried pressing the ALT key? It usually shows the letters with underscores when pressed.

Windows Functionality - preferences you can change. TipGiver is right, hold down the Alt key.

Who would have thought it? The ALT key does indeed turn on the underscores. But where does it say that in any help file? Now I know the answer you would think it would be easy to find the appropriate help information. No.

“keyboard shortcuts”, “keyboard accelerator”, ALT, preferences, I have searched on them all.

There is no way I could have found this out without your help. Thanks.

Is there some setting I can make in my C#.NET application to turn them on, or is it purely down to the user?

Hello both, + tnx for the *

That's the power of the forum(s) :)
I have not either read it from anywhere; I think i found it with the help of luck.... many many years ago.

Right-click your desktop --> Properties;
Choose 'Appearance', then click 'Effects' button;
Last checkbox reads 'Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation until I press the Alt key'.

Just the perfect place where one would look for it.

But I never noticed that when run from VS Studio the underscores *are* there and not when run from the Windows explorer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back