Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

&& How to span CD-RW using BrightStor ARCServe Backup v9

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwong

Programmer
Jan 24, 2003
CA
Hi,

Is there anyone know if it is possible to do a backup session spanning multiple CD-RW disks? If yes, what is the required hardware/software settings?

Thanks.

David

Interesting question, as drive and media are just the same with backup to disk I assume that you cannot insert a second CD/RW in the drive. If you have two CD/RW drives you can put them in the same device group and span them over this way.

regards

Thanks for your response.

In the Features, Descriptions & Benefits documentation from CA, it mentions under Scalability section:

"
Media Spanning -

When data exceeds the capcity of the media, the job can be continued on subsequent media placed in the device"

That's why I have this idea.

David

In order for BAB9 to use the CDRW as a MEDIUM (as opposed to an FS device) you need to get a driver that makes the CDRW device a REMOVABLE device to the operating system. (something like an optical drive). This driver may be from the CDRW manufacturer, but it can also be a generic driver for CDRW's (Panasonic makes a good such driver).
With the driver installed, BAB9 will treat the CDRW unit as a tape drive, hence you will be able to span.
hope this helps..

Hi TudorP,

Can you give me more direction to get the driver. I cannot search it on the Net. Thanks.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back