Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

America Online Has Japed Me Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brode

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
AOL drives me crazy, even though I don't use it. I do use the stand-alone version of Instant Messenger to talk to my kids who are scattered all over the globe though.

In spite of having been burned by AOL in various ways for years I keep thinking "maybe this time I can upgrade and things will be fine." (Like Charlie Brown thinking one day he'll be able to kick the football Lucy holds for him.) A couple of days ago I decided to be optimistic and update my version of Instant Messenger.

As I said, this is the stand-alone AIM, not the one that is part of the AOL service. I did the download and the install, and when I was done I not only had the updated AIM on my system I also had an icon called AOL for Broadband on my desktop. And all AOL for Broadband does is start AOL and give a plug for using AOL broadband. I don't need this, and I don't want it - neither AOL broadband nor the icon.

The new and unwanted program the icon refers to is called GtAOD.exe and when I checked out that directory there was no uninstall program. AOL Broadband/GtAOD isn't listed in the Add/Remove Programs section of Control Panel, so the question is - how do I uninstall it? Is this a throwback to the days when you could just delete, or is more involved?

Thanks,

Brode

I only quickly read your post....
I hear this IM does all types, without the headaches....

As far as that annoying file goes....It's probably a shortcut only....Right click it and choose properties...and click "find Target"....(notice which folder it's in and then delete that entire folder(maybe it's only a sub-folder of a larger, more hideous parent folder)....in which case....blow it away with a 12 guage.....
then do a find on your C:\ for AOL...delete

Then after rebooting....Go Start>Run MSCONFIG and look in the startup tab for references to AOL

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

The shortcut connects to an exe file. I have no qualms about deleteing exe files but would like to make sure said file is out of the registry as well.

First back up REG
Start>Run SCANREGW

Do a find using regedit
Go Start>Run REGEDIT
click My Computer
Edit>Find
check Keys,Value,Data
uncheck Match whole strings only
hit F3 for easy "find next"
I suggest to only delete the Right pane "Data".....
Be careful!!

Here for all startups
and disabled startups..
Same Keys as above with a "-" (dash)at the end...

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back