Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD's Athlon vs. Intel's Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjim

Programmer
Jan 4, 2001
PH
I plan not only to acquire a new computer but upgrade the one I have now. I'm a developer. I use Visual Basic 6.0, Visual InterDev 6.0 and Microsoft Access 2000.

Should I get AMD's Athlon or Intel's Pentium? I have heard that AMD's Athlon generates a lot of heat and so you have to invest in a good cooling fan. Since I live and work in Metro Manila, Philippines the heat might be a critical factor?

( I have also posted this query in the VB and VInterdev forums to get more responses. )

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

With respect to upgrading, it would depend on what kind of processor you have on your current motherboard; if you plan to replace the motherboard as well, you should look seriously at replacing the entire machine rather than upgrading.

As for a new machine, AMD currently provides more 'bang for the buck' than any Pentium offering. The only real drawback I know of is that if you have a cooling system failure (i.e. the fan on the CPU stops running for any reason) you will probably lose the AMD processor; the Intel will shut down.

AMD has done some work lately in addressing this issue. I recommend Tom's Hardware ( for more opinions and up-to-date information.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
--
Does the name Quasimodo ring a bell?

I run a 1.4ghz athlon at home with a fan the same size as what is in your standard power supply. When I first got it, it was running at about 57 degrees celcius when idle (durning winter) and about 64 Degrees celcius after playing games for a few hours. We are now in our summer here (which is in Tasmania, Australia) and it averages about 60 degrees celcius when sitting idle. I also have a Chassis Fan.

Given that our top temperture is during summer wouldn't hit 40 Degrees Celcius you would defintally want a few extra fans to combat the heat.

Having said that, IT'S A GREAT CHIP and much cheaper to buy and just as good if not better that Intel chips for what I'm doing. (Internet, Games etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back