Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD xp2000+....too HOT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hybrid368

MIS
Sep 21, 2002
US
I have the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP w/a xp 2000+ cpu. my cpu temp reads 54C and system temp reads 45C at idle. Is this too hot?? I have 1 Antec fan blowing in from the front and 1 stock fan to exhaust in the back. On top of that I have the Antec PSU which has 2 fans on it. Should I upgrade the exhaust fan?, cpu heatsink/fan?, or modify my case to fit bigger fans? Or all the above? I'm kinda on a budget so I would like to know what would be the best suggestion? Thanks in advance!!

What are you using to conduct heat from the CPU to the heatsink? If it's just the pad that came with the Athlon then you might get a lower temperture if you replace the pad with paste (Artic silver for instance) Actually though it's probably not too high now - Athlons are "hot" - the trouble might occur when summer rolls around and the outside temperature goes up.If you are in Australia where it's summer now - you should be alright!!

Kim Leece.

I found out recently that something as simple as a new case can make all the difference; I bought an XP2000+ setup to upgrade my old PIII. It ran at 59C, which is significantly hotter than my other AMD system, which runs at 34C.

So I bought a Thermaltake Xaser 5000A, and the temperature dropped like a stone to 29C. Even after a severe burn-in session with Mad Onion benchmarks, it never exceeds 32C.

I expect the 5 case fans help a bit... :) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

My local computer store put the cpu onto the motherboard to do a benchtest to make sure that it boots up correctly before I took it home. so I dont really know if the paste was used or not. Under load the cpu reads 55C and the system temp stays at 45C. My guess is that my exhaust fan in the back is not exiting the hot air fast enough to keep the system temp down. Should I change my cpu heatsink & fan or mount a side panel fan to blow cooler air onto the cpu? Also, what type of cpu heatsink & fans are good? Thanks in advance.

Hi Citrix Engineer!
I have seen you post your temperatures before, they are incredibly low! are you sure about there accuracy, anyway I am jealous!
I have an all Alluminium LianLi case with 3 80mm case fans, a trick Taisol copper based heatsink also with a 38cfm fan on it, I live in the UK so resonably cool.
Running a Palomino XP2.1+ not clocked.
XP pro
GF4 4200Ti
512mb 2100DDR Winbound Cas 2
5.1 creative live
network card
Scisi card
2X 40gig Seagate Barracuda's
writer/CDrom & DVD
Enermax twin fan 431watt PSU

THE SAME Gigabyte GA-7vaxp that hybrib 368 has
Mine idles around 48C (case temp 39C)
Max's around 52C (case " 43C)
Expect this will be several degrees higher in the summer.
SO HOW COME YOUR TEMPS ARE SO LOW?
Screaming Delta CPU fan?

Martin
Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

If you are planning on swapping out the HS/Cpu fan you will want to take extra care in doing so. I would recommend letting the shop do it. It is easy to damage the board or
crack/fry the cpu if it is not done correctly. Also, keeping
the case covers on will allow better air flow. If you really want to cool things down you could go with a water cooled case. But I think you are at a safe temp now.

to MaineGeek,

What in your opinion would be considered as safe temp for cpu and system?

I would say 60C and under. Most of us are on the conservitive side when it comes to this issue. You will probably get different answers from each person you ask.
But i think between 40C - 60C. I have heard that 90C is the threashold to fry point. If your bios has hardware monitoring with cpu over temp protection then you should set a limit for this as well.

Thanks for your help. I'll upgrade my stock exhaust fan and see if it lowers my system temp. I dont think my stock fan is doing a good job cause I can barely feel air being pushed out.

You might actually see some improvement by putting both of the case fans in the back of the case...both pulling air in. (emphasis might)

anyone know the correct RPM the system and cpu fan suppose to be running? I just installed a case exhaust fan and in my Gigabyte utility software, the RPM reads 5000-7000 then jumps up to 20000. I thought this reading was kinda odd. in my bios it shows roughly around 6000-7000.

AMD's official line on max continuos running temperature is 70C for the XP, with a burn out ceiling of 95C.
But it is generally considered that 60C is the Max continuos for stability.
gargouille, over the years I have tried all sorts of fan configurations and I am afraid I would have to disagree with the two fans blowing in theory.
With this method you are going against natural heat convection not to mention general case design and thousands of research man hours.
exhausting at the rear top or back is a much more effective method.
I think hybrid needs to buy a better heatsink/fan combination as the case fans he has in place should be OK.
Typical STOCK fan rpm's are:
80mm fans: 2,300-2,800
70mm fans: 3,300-3,750
60mm fans: 4,700-5,100
of course there are high performance variants in all sizes:
High powered/CFM
60mm fans rpm: 6,800-7,200
80mm fans rpm: 4,600-4,900
The high powered fans such as the famed Delta series
are extremely noisey (be warned)
Exceptable noise levels (usually below 36db)
If you fan rpm figure is intermittant it is nearly always the fan itself that is the cause.
To keep the CPU noise to an exceptable level but still have a very effective cooler many manufactures are fitting bigger 80mm fans on there coolers, they turn slower , create less noise but have a similar CFM figure to a smaller noisier fan of the same air moving power.
54C is a bit warm if thats your idle temp but might be quite exceptable if you live in a warm climate.
This figure could easily be 6-8 degrees warmer under load which would take you into the 60's and approaching the limits of temperature stability.
Martin

Paparazi..

I just installed a new exhaust fan and after that my cpu temp dropped to 51C and system temp dropped to 40C occasionally 41C. My intake fan blows from the lower front and my exhaust fan exits through the top rear on the side of my PSU. is that a good location? I live in Hawaii so it tends to be warm all year round. what type of heatsink/fan would you recommend? Im looking at doing that next.

Hi Paparazi,

I'm just going by what the BIOS reports;

Just rebooted System 2 (NEO) to check, and it's currently 29C. Stock Coolermaster fan on CPU (provided with retail pack), no overclocking, but memory interleaved to 4-band, CAS set to 2.5 and all other memory settings conservative - timings all tuned to be multiples of each other to avoid wait states induced by async, but actual speeds as close to spec as possible to avoid heat caused by running components too fast.

System 1 (WOLVERINE) also has stock Coolermaster fan and 4 case fans. Fans are 80mm Coolermaster low-noise (rated at 21Db, but my ears tell me that's a complete lie!).

Maybe it's my old Victorian house that keeps everything so cool, or simple attention to detail, such as keeping all cables from obstructing the airflow (with old cable ties that came with upgrade parts and gaffer tape), using round IDE cables, keeping front fans as intakes and rear as exhausts, and spacing out the disk drives and add-in cards to avoid warm air pockets.

Airflow is key, if you are using fans to cool your case. Also remember that you have an exhaust fan on your PSU. This can lead to a negative effect in terms of internal pressure - you're blowing out more air than you're sucking in, so the temperature inside rises. An additional low-powered front intake can help - or a variable speed rear exhaust.

I hope this helps knock a few more degrees of your temps!
CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

yes AND?
I have spaced my HD's
tidied my IDE cables
tied things out the air flow of the fans
etc etc etc.
And I don't have a stock heatsink/fan
Have you got the case in the fridge or something?
lol
Merry Christmas to you from Mr jealous

Hi Martin:

That's what I meant, but didn't get correctly said: pulling in air from the front...blowing out the back, positioned in the upper back of the case. Antec cases, mostly. Usually have extra fan mounts left over. Any fan I set up to blow in is in the front of the case, usually in the lower drive bay or at the bottom. I also prefer to have more fans exhausting than blowing in. Most of the time I just use what came with the case.

Hybrid:

I'd be very surprised if they didn't use thermal compound...but from my experience your temps would be quite a bit higher without it.

AND I must be just lucky or something :p

Merry Christmas everyone - this is probably my last posting this year... probably! [thumbsup2]

[pc3]

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

The taller chieftec towers are nice. I think the ones they sell at

come with 2 fans in the rear and a fan in front.

They have lots of room inside the case and are so tall the heat rises more. I like the way you can also put a fan in front of the hard drive bay. It has removable hard drive bays. The front of the case has sufficient ventilation.

Sometimes the air holes just are not big enough and fans strain just to push the air out. This is one thing to look for in a case. You may be surprised just how hot a CDROM can get too if you are reading CDROM's to play games or some such thing that adds a lot of heat.

Chieftec cases and Antec cases are the same design. If you like a fance case they also sell the Aluminum Chiftec cases with plastic fronts and acryllic door on the side. That way you can watch your processor go up in smoke much better. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back