Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD running temps 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcw1

Programmer
Jan 12, 2002
CA
Hey, I have an amd athlon xp 2000+ running at about 65 deg celsius. Is it fair to say that's within reason for this cpu? I'm having annoying computer problems... for instance: I try to attach a file to an email or send a file with msn and i lock up. Or certain processes take forever to complete... like Ctrl+alt+del... Running xp pro, all critical updates installed. I run updated virus and spyware scans often. It seemed to me that this was an overheating problem... i'm paranoid, i've had a cpu fry on me once already. Any suggestions are welcome. thanx

Glenn

hello everyone, I am still having problems with my cpu running hot. A few days ago, my power supply died and I replaced it and I droped my temp 5 deg. but its still running at 60deg C. I cleaned out my heatsink and fans and all the things like that but its still hot. I think im gonna have to purchase a better cpu fan and case fan. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Thanks

John

I am running an AMD Althon XP 2400+ and which the CPU socket is running at 127 degrees Farenheit and the case is running at 100 degrees farenheit and the diode is at 129 degrees fareneheit. Is my CPU running efficient enough to not burn up? Also, my CPU is a 2400+ but I have it set to 2.0 ghz and it can go up to 2.5 ghz. Would it be alright if I set it to 2.5 ghz in the bios?

You are in the safe zone but don't set your CPU to 2.5ghz in the bios, this is seriously overclocked for an XP2.4+ on standard cooling and would most certainly result in a burnt out CPU.
As this is a forum for computer professionals generally overclocking is not recommended and the subject not usually applicable to professional usage, if you want some definitive advice on the subject you might be better off seaching else where.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Lower multiplier and higher FSB gives lower temp
than higher multiplier and lower FSB .

Example: for 2Ghz
9 * 223 ~ 2007mhz gives lower temp
than
10 * 200 ~ 2000mhz

( though the memory must cope with the FSB )

Well sorry for asking a question. I just didn't want to make two posts which could be related to cooling. Sorry I made you answer a question

I have just installed an Athlon XP 2500+, and upgraded the BIOS, from ver. F2 to F7. The mb is a Gigabyte GA7N 400L1, with nForce2 chipset.

I have a copper heatsink with a fan, all the thermal grease, and 2 80mm fans--one pumping out the top back of the case, the other sucking in from the bottom front of the case. And of course the power supply, which pulls from the back, not the bottom; bottom being better as I've read, so I have a small issue there.

Anyway, prior to upgrading the bios, I had a cpu temp of 48 C under heavy load. After upgrading the bios, it's now 75 C. This concerns me, but I've got to think it's a mis-reporting by the new bios, since after the upgrade, I made sure to go back and double-check the bus speeds, voltages, etc, and they haven't changed, all fans are still running, and nothing else other than the bios was changed.

Is anyone aware of this particular Gigabyte bios having such an issue? Also, in EasyTune, prior to the upgrade there were 2 cpu temps listed--CPU A and CPU B (this is a single processor board)--and now it's jsut one. So I'm wondering if in the older version one was core temp and the other might be the temp ambient to the cpu? The previous temps for A and B were roughly 48 and 30 C, respectively, and I'm wondering if these are added together for the new bios?
Thanks for any insight,
-jsteph

Hmmmmm, I've had a few issues with bios upgrades on my
GA-7NNXP, with weired reported temperature anomolies like yours, thankfully the latest F15 appears to be OK but as I said, earlier versions were way off the mark, one had the CPU temp 2-3C lower than case temp.
I've also got an issue with the Northbridge fan, apparently temperature controlled but to be honest when it spins doesn't seem to follow any thermal pattern, it can spin for a solid hour from cold and another time when you would expect it to be working, on a warm day and the PC going hard, it will just never come on, STRANGE!!
Then there is the random case speaker beeps!!! at intervals from 2-10minutes, just one quick bip! and yes I have clean installed, no change (have pulled off speaker header connection) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the peace.
Anyway, apart from those small but annoying problems I love the board, it's fast and rock solid. :>)
Martin

Yeah, I disabled the cpu thermal warning--the highest the board allows is 90c. Because that 75C I had said above was actually the idle temp--I'm over 90c when doing batch conversions of jpg files. That buzzer got annoying. I've just got to go with the assumption that the 'true' temp is much lower--if not then the old bios version was vastly underreporting the temp--an even more dangerous situation.

My settings are normal now--now overclocking at all, and with my relatively reasonable cooling situation I can't see these temps being accurate. If I melt the chip, then I guess I'll have to try and get something out of Gigabyte--somehow I doubt I'll get far with that. I've written their tech support about this and hopefully they'll respond that it is indeed misreported.
--jsteph

As long as you are absolutely sure the heatsink is fitted correctly, with a small amount of paste on the core?
It seems very unlikely to be actually running at such high temperatures so I think our assumption is correct.
It is just a little worrying not to have that safeguard in place, after all, the thermal monitoring is there to warn of problems before catastrophic failure occurs.
The deciding factor and the only peace of mind, is that before the bios flash the reported temps were normal, also it just wouldn't run stabley at 90C.
Just keep an eye old for the next bios to be released.
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back