Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD running temps 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcw1

Programmer
Jan 12, 2002
CA
Hey, I have an amd athlon xp 2000+ running at about 65 deg celsius. Is it fair to say that's within reason for this cpu? I'm having annoying computer problems... for instance: I try to attach a file to an email or send a file with msn and i lock up. Or certain processes take forever to complete... like Ctrl+alt+del... Running xp pro, all critical updates installed. I run updated virus and spyware scans often. It seemed to me that this was an overheating problem... i'm paranoid, i've had a cpu fry on me once already. Any suggestions are welcome. thanx

Glenn

Generally 65C is a little on the warm side for an XP processor and the point at which they can become flakey etc
XP2.0+ usually idle around 50C (depending on where you are in the world and how warm an enviroment the PC is kept)
Because you have an air cooled CPU (as do most of us) how low we can get the teperature of the CPU is governed by ambient air temperature (room temp)and the efficiency of case and CPU cooling solutions.
If you can fit extra case fans to achieve good air throughput this will supply the CPU fan with the coolest possible air supply.
Getting the internal case temp down, close to outside case ambients will have a direct impact on the CPU temps.
Obviously the heatsink/cooler is equally important and that you have strickly followed proper installation procedure:
That you have applied a small amount of good quality thermal paste to the small raised core of the CPU.
That the heatsink has been fitted the correct way around (recess in the base positioned over the socket "A" writing on the Ziff socket)
Tidy wiring to allow unrestricted airflow.
Front lower to rear top airflow with extra case fans.
That you have the latest bios flash (some recent motherboards are reporting incorrectly high CPU temps) cured by updating bios info.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanx for your reply... going to buy a new fan and some thermal paste and go from there. Probably could fix up the wiring a bit as well. Can't get any extra fan's into this case without modifiying it, i do have the front lower intake and the rear upper outtake. What are some causes of overheating? I've had this config for about a year, and the problems started about a month ago. Thanx again

Glenn

Gcw1, I have the same processor that you have and i have a gigabyte motherboard and im running at the same temp, my case temp is 46c and my processor is 63c, i was wondering how many hard drives you have in you case? I have one 60gig and one 10gig. and what video card are you using?

John

I laid a 120mm (almost silent) fan on the bottom of my case with double- sided tape to eliminate "dead spots".Hopefully,my PSU fan & rear case fan will draw off the hot air.Two to four degree difference under load.

I have 2 hdd's, one 40gig and one 30gig... and my video card is a Geforce2 mx 16mb. I have another question... my board has a little fan on it called CPU Cooler. Does it have any use with today's faster cpu's? Most of my friends say it's useless. Mine doesn't even start anymore when i boot my computer up unless i give it a spin with my finger. :p

Glenn

Beside the cpu... asus is the manufacturer. I can't recall the model though.

gcw1
I think that u will find that the fan on ur mb is the chip set cool fan. I should Get a New one So that the Fan cool the Chipset chip. if the chipset chip goes then u would probley need to get a new mb

It could be the chipset overheating which is causeing ur problems
allthou this is only a guess.

This fan cools the Northbrige chip on the motherboard and those motherboards that used this active cooling solution usually chose to reduce the size of the heatsink because of the increased cooling capacity that a fan provided.
Because the heatsink is smaller it definately needs a working fan fitted so this fan either needs a clean and lube or replacing with a new 40mm equivalent.
Martin

ok see if you guys can help me out.

Just recently I have noticed that the cpu and system has been running really hot, 65c (cpu) and 46c (system), the processor is a AMD 2000+, video card Radeon 7000, i have been running this same system for over a year now and it just now started running like this, What do you think is causing this problem?

John

Sometimes the heatsink compound used between core and heatsink base goes off and just needs cleaning and re-applying, more common though is that over time there has been a build up of dust debri around the heatsink veins and CPU fan, this build up of dirt can severely effect the efficiency of the cooler and requires properly cleaning.
The easiest way to do this is with a powerful jet of compressed air otherwise use a small paint brush and some cotton buds.
I would still re-apply new thermal paste.
P.S check all fans for dirt build up and make sure they are all spinning freely when powered.
Martin

Well... so far all i've done is blown out all the fans and my cpu temp is now 60c... 5 deg to the good. I'm going to re-apply the thermal next. I still can't get that little fan on the board running... must be gummed up pretty good. Thanx

Remove the four screws that retain the northbridge fan to the heatsink, thoroughly clean the heatsink and fan whilst the fan itself is removed, take off the round sticker on the reverse of the fan to reveal the impeller shaft (sometimes there is a small rubber blanking grommet) apply 1-2 drops of fine 3in1 oil to the shaft, making sure not to contaminate the sticker area, rotate untill completly free, refit and test.
Martin

there is one option you may be missing. i've had similar problems once, and it was caused by XP. try hitting CTRL_ALT_DELETE once and see what your cpu utililization is. my was running at about 99%. it was slowing the computer way down and causing it to heat up.

if you minimize the that screen, a little graph will appear in the task bar showing the changes in usage. IE was the program i was having trouble with that time, but i've had it with others also. seems like XP likes to go into a loop when it has a problem. and i never did find anything about it in the microsoft database.

My CPU is Barton3200+ with Epox 8KRA2+ KT600 motherboard.The system temp is 32 deg ,CPU temp 37 deg celsius
USE wpcredit and wpcrset to modify the registers in northbridge to enable HLT when CPU is free .Default is disable.

It's a good idea to put a decent Northbridge Heatsink on your board. A little Artic Silver paste is also a step in the right direction.

Re-iterating what has been already said, tidy up your wiring (cable ties and cable mounts are good) and stick some case fans on. I recommend one on the top and one on the back (minimum). There is usually a space already for on the back. As the for the top...well you will probably have to remove it and cut a hole in it. My setup has one on the top, two on the rear (sucking out) and one on the front (sucking in). Adding some fans should drop a couple of degrees, Artic Silver another couple of degrees.

I have a similar problem. I have an AMD Duron 750 system which freezes when the CPU is at 100% for a while. Before the freeze ups I was using the distrubuted.net client to utilise spare cycles.

When the CPU is at load it goes from an idle temp of 55 to 69 and the system temp goes from 40 to 47. I am presuming that I have a cooling problem but the temp increase still reads as ok and the CPU fan reads as ok.

Is it possible for a system to freeze up even when it is still in the 'OK' range?

Is the temp range increase far more then should be occuring anyway and does it indicate acooling problem?

Is the system temp of 47 too high for other components and could it be a problem with the HDD for example operating at this temp?

Thank you for any help,

Ben

Be aware that the monitored temperature (measured outside) is not the inside temp of the cpu . The inside tempereture is what iv'e read approx 10 deg celsius higher .
So your BIOS or motherboard monitor reports cpu temp of 69 its actually 79 inside the cpu .

BenyG, as you can see by reading ealier threads 69C is well into unstable territory for a Duron 750 and you definately do have a problem.
It could be that the heatsink is blocked with accumulative dust build up or that the heatsink paste has gone off.
Either way the heatsink/fan unit needs removing, thoroughly cleaning and refitting with a new application of thermal paste to the small raised core of the CPU.
If you can stretch to it, a new replacement heatsink/fan, even a basic $7 unit, will be twice the size and have 50% better cooling capacity than the old, small unit that you are using now.
A Duron 750 is a very cool running CPU, it should be very easy to get your Max's below 50 C
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back