Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD CPU fan stops after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoricelu

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
RO
I recently bought an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and a ASUS M2N-E mobo. Installed them and entered BIOS. CPU temperature: 31; mobo temperature: 28. Great. Proceded to install OS. And noticed (after 5-6 minutes) that the CPU fan stops. And not starting. I did reset and entered BIOS. After reset the fan started again. In the time I checked the BIOS (CPU temp.: 45; mobo temp.: 40) the fan stopped again. When first started the computer i gave me a warning (BIOS setting) that the fan spin rate was under 800 RPM. Tried everything but it continue to randomly stop.
I don't know what this could be. Faulty mobo?
Thank you for any advice.
Sincerelly,
Bogdan

I agree with wolluf the first place you should look is the fan itself. Get or make a 3-pin fan-plug splitter adapter, plug the CPU fan and another in to the CPU FAN header. Does the second fan behave the same? If not it is not the mainboard.

Also, in BIOS, be sure the AMD "Cool & Quiet" feature is disabled although I have never heard of that feature shutting OFF a CPU fan, just slowing it down.

Fans are moving parts and the first suspects.

Tony

The fan is 3 pin anyway. Thank you very much for your posts. I will also try a BIOS update for that mobo. Seems pretty faulty without the last BIOS. I will write here asap.

There can be settings in the BIOS to idle the CPU fan when it dips below a certain temperature. I would use a fine comb and go through each setting once again.

Of course like the others have said, it could also be the fan itself. I seriously doubt that your motherboard is the problem. A BIOS update might make a difference too, you never know.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

shoricelu
I have seen this on both Intel and AMD motherboards with several different models and manufacturers so I'm a little confused that others haven't noticed it to?
I was working with an Intel Dual Core duo 6600 (retail) and a Gigabyte DS3 just the other day where the fan just wouldn't turn for the first couple of minutes, yes a little worrying but not after the 6th-7th build when you realize they are all the same (and like I say this is not isolated)
If it's any consolation, bios releases often have revised settings for thermal control/fan settings so an update may give more acceptable results even if the fan still stops occationally.
I also think that because in the past CPU's were so HOT it comes as a suprise when the new Core2 Duo's and 64bit AMD's run so very cool. It is the techniological breakthrough in die size which have lead to such low heat output and in turn to the CPU fan not needing to spin half as fast and in these cases, sometimes not needing to spin at all.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back