Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD computer will not work anymoore need HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rad89

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
Started getting error messages during boot up.

My system halts during startup.
it seemed to hand at loading WinXP screen. then it would restart.

afetre doing this a couple times it goes into the BIOS and gives an error with CPU frequency settings.

says to change in intervals of 333Mhz.
I have tried changing it to all other settings in bios.
1500/2000/2500/3000 the chip is athalon XP 2200 I belive a 2.6 or 2.9 Ghz.

I realized it was a CPU issue so I then tried replacing the CPU with my older althon 950Mhz.

When I did that I then got no video displaying at all.

I have even tried swapping out the video cards but nothing still.

I then tried swapping all harddrives and such to my secondary older computer and tried using the old processor, but the same thing. I get no beeb codes and no display.

I don't know what could be causing this. I have tried 2 AGP cards (video) and one PCI no change.

I have tried plugging everything back into my new system and even then trie dusing the old CPU agina, and now I can't get any display on that setup either.

Can any one offer any assistance??

Asus motherboard, ATI video card optiquest monitor.

Bit of a long shot. Try changing the CMOS battery. It may just be that the settings have all been lost if the battery has died. As I say, a long shoy, but you never know.

Whew, I thought you kids had changed the lingo again.

Check your memory. I had a system that was spotty, some times booted ok, some times no post. It turned out I had one bad stick of memory screwing everything up. Popped it out and everything was fine. Got a new stick and everything is better.

Jarrett

If you have an Athlon XP 2200+, it isn't running at 2.6 or 2.9 GHz. It would probably be more like 1.8 GHz (I don't know the exact speed off-hand, but my old 1600+ ran at 1.4 GHz). Are you sure that the CPU speed is set correctly? Is it being manually set, or automatically set?

I would first verify that the CPU speed settings are set correctly, then reload BIOS defaults, then see what happens.

An Athlon XP2.2 runs approx at 1.8ghz, the memory fsb should be set to 133 (266) to achieve the correct clock speed.
And as with all Athlons you mustn't fit the heatsink/cooler the wrong way around or else the CPU will fry in 10 seconds flat (recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it locates over the raised cam box on the CPU socket)
Really!!! it's so easy to fit wrong! I've even done it myself!
Yes! try one stick of ram
Clear the cmos
Replace the lithium button battery if less that 3volts (new is 3.3volts)
Check for leaking capacitors
See:
Martin
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

What paparazi said about the CPU is absolutely correct.
I am going a few steps further that what he asked.

Did you clean the CPU and the heatsink first then apply new thermal compound (very thin layer) after each CPU change???

if you just slapped on the CPU fan you may have had bunched up used thermal compound that comes standard for the CPU fan and that will burn up a CPU faster than you can blink.

it sure is cheaper to bring the tower to a shop and get a diagnosis. usually the shops have diagnostic cards that pinpoint the error at boot. you are at the kinda not cheap area anymore.

the AMD CPU's are not all that expensive so order a new one (with a new fan) and follow the directions ...or bring it to a shop and have them do it.

piece of advice shop around first. some shops charge outrages prices for estimates. some are free... also ask for references

I run a at home repair business and I find that it is good policy to give free estimates and not charge labor if I cannot fix a customer's problem...this has got me more customers than I have lost money from the labor...LOL

I wish you luck

As I side to this, the actual restarts may be a seperate issue. This is classic Natchi / Blaster behaviour.

Once up and running I'd get a virus scan done asap.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back