Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD AthlonXP 1500+ (can't install)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdo

Programmer
Jul 21, 2002
CA
AMD AthlonXP 1500+

I am unable to install Windows XP Pro or 2000 Pro. When asking to select the partition, (C: unknown) so I select it, format it but it freezes at 100% formatted. Fat32 or NTFS. It just won't work

I assume you mean when you specify the partition/hard drive to install the OS during setup right?
I've had this problem before also. What to do first, is boot with a win98 boot disk, run fdisk, and delete all primary/extended/logical drives (delete everything), then make the primary partition, and mark it active. Reboot and use the win98 boot disk again to boot your system, then format your hard disk. when it is finshed, run "fdisk /mbr" -->this clears the master boot record (removes the bootstrap code, i.e. bootmangers etc. like 2000's and XP's boot manger)..this only takes a second.
Now reboot again, with your XP Pro cd or 2000 CD and boot off the CD to begin the install. Now when you choose the partition, it should say FAT32 instead of unknown, and the install should continue all the way through.

Jason Bishop

I'd use XP's partitioning tools to remove and recreate partition during the install. Its always a good idea to use the partitioning tools for the operating system concerned when installing any flavour of Windows.

I tried Windows 98 (Fat32)... worked fine... Then I thought maybe the Upgrade Windows XP Pro will work... NOP!

ok I'll try what jasonbishop suggested.

thanks

When you've got win98 working, you could try running XP's compatibility checker. I very much suspect a hardware problem/incompatibility if it will not upgrade from a working 98 installation.

PS. Did you have ANY problems with 98 installation/have you run anything in win98 (I ask as often win98 will install where there are problems that prevent 2k/XP, but you get strange errors - like recurring errors in registry, mystery reboots etc).

PPS. There isn't any anti-virus enabled in the bios?

Didn't work

Is it possible that the cammand fdisk /mbr didn't work...?

because Windows Setup reformats into NTFS it says 'formating Partition1..... .... [mbr]'

Then it freezes at 100% formatted...

Here's a better description of the computer:

I actually added 128mb of ram before I tried to install Windows XP Pro for the first time. Then I took it off thinking that could be it... but no.

At first the hard drive was Primary Master and the CD-Rom was Secondary Master. Then I changed it: HD -> Primary Master, CD -> Primary Slave. But it's still the same.

I formatted the drive with a Win98 boot disk, then with a Partition Magic boot disk, I also deleted all partition then recreated the primary (also with Win98 boot disk and Partition Magic boot disk), I also tried fdisk /mbr, but nothing worked.

My next steps are trying it on a small FAT16 partition and then removing peripherals...

Thanks to all for helping.

Now I was able to complete the format but during installation I got a blue screen:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Technical information:

*** STOP 0x000000C2 (0X00000007,0x00000CD4,0x80A234CC,0xE1789D78)

Now it won't even boot... can't even access BIOS.
I get the message: Sec HDD error.
I assumed it meant Secondary hard disk drive. So I unplugged cables going to the cd-rom since it's the cd-rom that's on Secondary master.

But no difference.

???

it was supposed to be a one hour thing... reinstall Windows XP Pro. Windows XP Pro was installed before, someone else had upgraded it. But it kept rebooting for noghing, so I just wanted to format and reinstall...

???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back