Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD ATHLON cpu temperature 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foordy

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
AU
Hey, I have lately been very worried about my CPU temperature, reaching over 65celcius when the case is closed....
I have found a new software prog which tells me the temperature, and I tested and it is accurate, And I have kept an eye on it, And I am getting very worried with the temperatures, compards to other peoples CPU's, mine is sky high.
I have an AMD ATHLON 1.3 gig hertz, and I wanted to know what the normal temp it should be, and how high exactly it can go until I should be worried.
Also my motherboards temp is 35celius usually...Is that also normal?
Thanks in advance....

Foordy.....

To high actually. The core voltage should run much closer to +1.5
Many overclockers will increase this voltage in order to supply the CPU with more power and crank up the clock speed a little higher, but even so I don't think people generally run their core that high. Personally I run mine at 1.525 (I overclock) and I think my motherboard actually gets a little unhappy running much higher. Then again I only increased it from 1.5 in order to break 30% on my overclock (running 1.6Ghz @ 2.13Ghz).

I'm pretty sure those core numbers are the same for AMD and Pentium, but you may want todouble check. I haven't owned an AMD since I started over clocking, and didn't know as much about voltages and so on in those days, so they may be slightly differant.

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
minilogo.gif alt=tiernok.com
The never-completed website

hmmm I wonder why it's running so high, the power supply is brand new. My old 300watt one had dust buildup making a lot of noise so I just replaced with this new one that's 450watts, but I don't do any overclocking (always locks up machine). Do you think it's a major issue that it's running at that voltage? and how could I possibility fix it?

Most motherboards these days will allow you to adjust this in the BIOS settings. Some motherboards do ramp it up a little (like .0125 or something else minor) but I have never seen one set that high. Again, I'm a pentium guy, so you may want to check for info at the AMD site or on overclocker sites to see what the std starting point is. I'm pretty sure it's the same, but thats trusting my memory (which I only do when trying to amke a point with my gf)

-Tarwn

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]

I have an athlon 1800XP and it is running at 74 degrees celcius. Will new fans lower that to at least 60c? and also, should the fan above the CPU blow air out, as mine doesn't.

Icecubes7,

Generally you want the CPU fan to blow onto the CPU rather than off. Using a higher rated Heatsink/Fan and perhaps applying some good Thermal Paste should lower your temperature.

It is also worth organising your cables neatly to improve airflow and look at your case fans.

My XP2000 runs high 50c to mid 60c. It has one exhaust fan at rear with 2 fans on 500w psu. I use a standard coolermaster (up to 2400 rated) heatsink (white paste) and have it on 24/7 (running server amongst other things). I used one of the variable speed coolermasters (big green fan!) but it was far too noisy (i make music). I have never had the system trip up for any reason therefore I don't see the need for extra cooling. If I'm doing a live recording I disconnect the case fan and don't see any significant rise in cpu temp anyway. I've just added an ATI 8500 vivo and thought the extra heat in the case would make a difference but i'm yet to see any effect.

74 degrees! holy mother of....you need fans my friend. Even mid 60s seems high for me. I overclock my Athlon 2500 from 1.8 to 2.1 GHz and my CPU temp is only around 41 degrees, give or take 5 degrees depending if my room is really warm or really cool. I've read that for many people, mid 30s is normal and that's probably so if i wasnt overclocking. For me it wasnt this cool until I finally found a good solution to my fans that lowered me like 10 degrees or so. I put one in the bottom front blowing in, one the back blowing out, and one on top blowing out (my case has this top spot available, most dont. and i'm not counting the fan in my power supply). Remember hot air goes UP and you want it OUT. I've tried blowing air inwards up by the processor and that does no help...the hot air goes nowhere. Since cases are not air-tight, fans blowing out will bring cooler air in automatically from cracks in the case. I've found out that I get better results with 2 fans blowing out up by the processor than 1 in and 1 out. The processor fan should be blowing air onto the processor, yes. And I dont have any special heatsink or fan for it...just the one that came in the box.

Ah, also dust could be a problem. Dust acts as in insulator and just traps heat. I dont know if anyone said this above or not, but go buy a compressed air duster, take the case of your computer off, and blow dust off everything...especially the processor heatsink and fan. Squint your eyes and close your mouth though...=)

One thing not to overlook, overtime the thermal compound between the cpu and fan will over time either harden or dry, it is worth checking once a year and applying new compound if necessary. A good quality compound can help reduce the cpu temp a few degrees.

Thanks to all the advice on the board, I just tuned up my computer and dropped the temperature from 79C to 55C. The motherboard was fine though at 31C. I was experiencing mysterious shutdowns before I decided to check the temp. I am running an Athlon 1700XP, 3 hard drives, burner, cdrom etc. I had 1 rear case fan previously. The room temperature here in Taiwan in my office sometimes got to the high 20s which is pretty hot. To drop the temperature, I opened the case and cleaned out all the dust with a rubber squeezey blower and a small paintbrush albeit I think I inhaled most of it. Then I changed the cpu fan + heatsink (no name about $25), replenished the paste that came with it and added 1 more case fan going at 5000 rpms. The computer runs fine now with no more sudden poweroffs. It's still a little hot but a lot better than before. The only touchy thing about the whole process was taking the heatsink off. You can get information about that on the AMD website. Peace of heart and no more worries. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems and thanks to all who contributed before me. [rockband]

I upgraded the Athlon 1900+ XP to a Barton 2500+ and the BIOS and Asus PC Probe started to report a CPU temperature between 75C (minimum) and 85 C (max). I changed the BIOS because it could not understand the Barton (it was displaying garbage on startup). Out of desperation I set the FSB to 100MHz and the multiplier to 8, thereby running at 800MHz, and the reported temperature is 65C min, 75 max.
Motherboard is between 38C (no extra case fan) and 34C (one extra case fan at the back).
Ambient is about 28C (very hot in London)
HMonitor agrees on the motherboard, but on the CPU it shows 45.5C instead of 65C.

I am sure the BIOS and asus PC Probe are reading it wrong. Anyone knows why? How can I fix it?

Thanks

akis

Read my last post on this thread.
Is your motherboard compatible with the "Barton core"?
If it weren't for the discrepancey in the HW monitor/Bios I would have said straight away that your heatsink is fitted the wrong way around or without thermal paste.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

A note on voltages, I decided to increase my knowledge of AMD systems, so I just built an Athlon XP system based on the old Asus a7v133 (talk about a pain). After a couple hours I amanged to get it to post and now everything seems to be mostly stable.

It appears that Athlons do generally require a higher VCore than Pentiums, your motherboard and what it was designed to take will also come into play here. Generally it looks like most people run their XP's between 1.6 and 1.7 for the vcore, I'm actually running at 1.75 right now, which will lower the life but seems to be more stable in this setup.

Currently temps are 56C idle, 60C load (Prime95 torture, temp stable for over an hour). While this is liveable I am going to be re-applying the thermal paste (AS3) after this current round of benchmarks is finished. I have to admit I was extremely lazy when I was trying to get this setup to POST and didn't clean the HSF or CPU's when I was switching back and forth between the K7 and the XP1800. My goal here is low 50's idle and load, which should be easily attainable despite the over-coltage b/c I'm running 1 80mm intake (front), 1 80mm exhaust(rear), 1 92mm intake (side), and 1 92mm exhaust(top). If the system was going to be mine I would probably also switch out the HSF, as currently I am using the retail packaged HSF that cam with the XP.

One thing I do have to note, I was very impressed with the small range in temps (4C), my P4 has a 10C range and I was worried about what this one would do under load when it was starting at 56C, but seeing as it's future consists of Office, Web Browsing, Email, and IM'ing and it tops out at 60C, I doubt it will ever be an issue...took 20 minutes for at 100% CPU util for it to get to 60C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back