Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD ATHLON cpu temperature 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foordy

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
AU
Hey, I have lately been very worried about my CPU temperature, reaching over 65celcius when the case is closed....
I have found a new software prog which tells me the temperature, and I tested and it is accurate, And I have kept an eye on it, And I am getting very worried with the temperatures, compards to other peoples CPU's, mine is sky high.
I have an AMD ATHLON 1.3 gig hertz, and I wanted to know what the normal temp it should be, and how high exactly it can go until I should be worried.
Also my motherboards temp is 35celius usually...Is that also normal?
Thanks in advance....

Foordy.....

Pentiums DO run cooler, but then again they don't have a ceiling of 95C. Either way if you case is building up heat the recommendation above to add a couple of fans is a very good idea.

OK, I will do that then as soon as I can get abit more money.
So any idea on the pricing for the 3.06gighertz?

£500 in the UK!!!! don't know how much in the States but thats $650 approx, very, very, very expensive and not worth it unless you have money to burn?
As with all cutting edge, latest and greatest, you pay a premium for the current tops.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Agreed, On my latest spec I took the 2.6 over the 3 - half the price for those 400 mhz

Hey foordy, I just bought a P4 3.06 and it was just under $600. havent received my OS yet but booted the newly built system to the BIOS and the cpu temp was at 115F (dont remember the celcius reading as I cant relate to it). Is that about normal?

hey,
well i have a athlon xp 2800+ and i use a thermaltake volcano 11 fan. i have the rpm at about 4000 and the temp is always around 37oC the cpu has an internal thermal diode so that must be accurate temperature.

i wanna know what a safe limit on temperature would be, becasue it is a little bit noisy at 4000rpm so if i could turn it down a bit but still maintain a good temperature, then i would be happy

I have a 2200XP and when my CPU load is near 0 it is about 41 degress Celsius, when playing CPU intensive apps it goes up to about 50 celsius and more or less stays there.

My question to the veterans here, can this be made better. are my current temps good enough, for 24/7 operation? I had my system for only a couple of months, I seem to recall the temperature values being a few degress lower initially.

BTW my Mobo temperature is between 38-40 degrees

The above or temps after an hour, witout any change in outside ambient temp.

Koihin & ben7755
Your temps are quite typical for a Thoroughbred core Athlon XP2.2+ with standard air cooling.
Generally experienced Athlon users agree that any temperature below 60C is fine and stable and will give the CPU a good 7 year average life cycle (far longer than it's service life)
AMD themselves state that this core can run 24/7 upto a temp of 70C but don't comment on system stability at that temp.
AMD's max burn out temps for the Athlon core range from
85-95C
You could lower temps further with refrigeration or water cooling but the only benefit for you would be a quieter running system and an empty wallet!
I think the above information should answer ben7755's question as well.
You could easily allow your CPU temp to rise to 50C without any detrement with the bonus of a much quieter system. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Hi, i have a amd 1.1ghz athlon, and was playing command and conquers generals with it, and it started to lag so checked the cpu temp with pc alert, and it said it was running at 78C, and alerted me to shut down. Obviously this is way to hot, but im using the fan and heatsink that came with the computer(built by large company), and am now puzzeled why it should run at this temperature now.

Hi, I built a new machine last week.

The spec is:- AMD 2600+ XP 333 FSB, 512DDR PC2700, 60Gb 7200RPM, 20Gb 7200RPM, Floppy, DVD, CDRW, Geforce4 420MX

All build in a lovely chieftec scorpian case. My cpu temperatures range around 44oC idle and 52-55oC with demanding apps and games i.e. CM4

For those who live in the uk over the last week the weather has been very hot and humid, I most so I have been pretty impressed with these temps, never been sure how which way to install my case fans though?

Please be sure to use a good thermal compound such as Artic Silver III between the CPU cooler and the top of the CPU. This can make a tremendous difference in temps. The white thermal compounds just don't have a good heat transfer characteristic versus ones with silver content. I have had 10C drops in temp by changing to Artic Silver thermal compound.

I felt this was worth mentioning as the thermal compound should be applied as recommended by the manufacturer. If your CPU cooler has one of the pink or other color pads attached carefully removed it with a single edge razor blade and clean the remaining metal surface with cleaner such as Goo Off or something similar to remove all oxide and old bits of thermal pad, then dry completely. Now you are ready to apply new thermal compound.

I repair PC's on the side and this has been a real problem
with the AMD CPU's.

Hope this helps a little.

Foordy, please find the links below to relevant information that should give you all the knowledge you need to know.

I have included links for both AMD and INTEL processor arcitectures, if you have another arcitecture type well lucky you.

AMD:
INTEL:

This should be everything you need to know

gtd86
Something is obviously wrong and it needs sorting before damage occurs.
First port of call would be the manufacturer for a onsite engineer callout, to either refit or replace that heatsink/fan unit.
It has to be one of the following to cause such high readings:
Fan is seizing or has stopped alltogether
The heatsink has been fitted without paste
The heatsink is fitted the wrong way around so is not sitting squarely on the CPU core for proper heat transfer
The heatsink is catching a capacitor or other motherboard component preventing it from sitting squarely on the core
The pad "protective tape" has been left on and not removed
The case inlet vents are blocked often caused by sitting the tower directly onto a carpet.
The heatsink is badly blocked with dust etc (extreme)
Certain motherboards do require a bios flash because of unusually high reported temperature readings (but not this high)
Note to Iwspann* I do conceed that Artic Silver III or similar metal particle paste is superior to a white silicon based paste, I use it myself but I have never seen that much of a reported differance between the two types when both pastes are applied properly. In my experience only a 2-3 C average drop is reported but obviously it's still worth it for peace of mind.
xathras:
Standard case fan fitment usually follows these lines:
Front lower case, fan fitted drawing IN cool air from the outside
Rear top back (below power supply) exhausting OUT warm air (believe me when I say this is nearly always more effective than sucking IN) many people assume blowing towards the CPU would be better but not in my experience as it upsets the natural direction of the air flow in the case.
If you have a top (lid fan mount) this should blow out, exhaust.
Side panel fans normally blow into the case around the graphics card
So standard case cooling airflow normally follows the direction of:
Bottom front to back top (remember hot air naturally rises)
Airflow IN (CFM) should generally be similar to the amount of air being blown out, but don't get to hung up on this, it's not critical.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

LOL thanks xath, but I made this post almost a full year ago.
October 2002. Surprised it is still being replied to.
I can't tell you how my temps are going now because it isn't summer here so it isn't a bother.

where can i download the program you discussed about telling you the accurate temperature inside the machine. I'm watching mine in bios, but that's in bios when it's not doing anything. Additionally my system fan speed is 0rpm (cpu is 4500-4600); i assume some cable is not connected?

Some comments on CPU temperature:
I downloaded homonitor from It said my CPU temperature was 65 C. I stopped my PC and checked via bios: 56 C. It can not have cooled down that much in 20 seconds. But why this concern about temperature? I use "sandra" from to check my hardware. When I run a benchmark and compare with my own processor I can check that it performes normal. As long as I have normal performance I see no need to worry about a few centigrades. If the processor becomes to hot AMD has a safety circuit to protect the processor.
Another experience: I recommend you to check and clean the interior of you PC at least 3-4 times a year. There will be a lot of dust on the fans and cooling flanges that reduce the performance.

Yes I would imgaine it isn't connected/is missed 3rd cable(2 power 1 monitoring)/is using a different power adapter.

I'm up and running a program called HMONITOR (montiors temperatures) and heat does not seem to be a problem; after it was jamming up I would go immediatly into bios to see the heat where it would be in the low 40s. Currently CPU1 is 44.3 and cpu2 is 37.6... However, what is "core voltage" that's listed as +1.80V and it's in red; like that's too low.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back