Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD 2000XP runs too fast! Abit NV7-133R MB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnorth

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
Has anybody had any experience with their system running too fast? I upgraded to the AMD AthlonXP 2000 with a Abit NV7-133R motherboard and still using Windows 98. My system started to race as in everything it did occurred blindingly fast. The second hand on the clock would take 12 seconds to travel one revolution. It was not humanly possible to double click fast enough to open a file. Those irritating, flashing popups were a blur. My first thought was heat so I loaded the case with fans and air simply gushes out. the system runs at about 48 degrees C. I appreciate any light anyone can shed on this perplexing problem.

Mcnorth,
I am experiencing the same problem. Same cpu.
Haven't found any solution yet.

For what it's worth I received an explanation on another forum. I was told that the Nforce chipset has a problem with Windows 9x operating systems and timing control. It was explianed that the problem usually is brought on by an internet or networking application. I was simply advised not to use ANY win9x operating systems with that chipset. After all the frustration I pulled it all out and went with a P4 2.26 and a Gigabyte 845E based board. Extreme? Probably. But end of problem.

Good luck!!! I have one hell of a lot of empathy for you.

Thanks for the tip. I can correct it with a re-boot
but it always comes back soon after. I sat and watched the second hand when it was running "normal" and I could see the hand skipping every few rotations like it was going to take off again. This is on one of my own systems. What is worse though is that I have built about a dozen of these in the past month for other people. All had 98SE, Athlons and a mix of Asus and MSI boards. So if I understand correctly, there are only 2 ways out of this.
1. Do a WinXP Upgrade
2. Upgrade to WinXP

An upgrade should work? Right??

mcnorth- the better solution would have been to put another OS on...

Pyramus: Agreed. But my situation was a little more involved. First off, I paid a premium price for parts to a local vendor for their experience. I got drivers that wouldn't load from disk, drivers that would load but not be recognized from Abit and eventually drivers that would load and clear conflicts from Nvidia. After all the frustration the vendor said, "yeah, we knew that." Then I had indications of over heating which was eventually resolved with a firmware upgrade. (Which also, incidentally, made me consider that the accelerated operation could be from over heating) Turns out the firware upgrade had been available for 4 months but unknown to the vendor. Then the local computer wiz's claimed that the timing issue was all my fault because of the software I was using. After 30 days of this it was time to pull the pin, dump the concept of local service, support and experience and go another direction. After the fact I eventually learned of the operating system issue.

Mainegeek: Bear in mind that I have not confirmed the solution. I've tried to link to the Anandtech thread for you but now I can't find it. For what it's worth it is titled "Athlon XP 2000 runs too fast! Abit NV7-133R MB" and was originated on 08/27/2002 3:48 PM.

I have almost the same problem... I can't click my mouse fast enough for my computer to recognize as double click.
My system clock runs around 4 times faster then usual.
This problem happened around 5 days ago, sometimes, it can be settled by restarting, and sometime not. The day before yesterday, I cleared the CMOS setting by jumper, its work normally for a day, and the problems appear again tonight, frustrating afterall.
My hardwares are : AMD athlon 900, Abit KT7A, Nvidia tnt2, with a recently installed CMedia soudcard(it seems problem occurs after that), OS:Xp. And I started using edonkey too recently. Really can't figure where do this problem came from. Huh.. While restarting my Computer, my CPU is recognized as AMD 570, 500, 480 and now 280 Mhz...The clock in bios is sometimes normal and sometimes not. Huh.......

JJDRAGON,
Does that board have the Nforce chipset?
Do you reacall if you downloaded and installed
Shockwave plug-in recently?

I must say....I have never heard someone complaining that their system was too fast....Normally it's the other way around...lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back