Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD 1600+ what should i set the temp warning to? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

touregg

Programmer
Nov 7, 2003
US
I have it set to 56c/133f right now and the alarm is going off quite often.

touregg
65C would be about right, still safe for the CPU but just touching the zone where problems behgin to arise (BSOD and freezing)
You must live in a warm climate? 56C is a few degrees higher than most XP1.6+ CPU's run at but as I said a perfectly safe and stable temp just try to keep it under that 60C mark if you can.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Go to the AMD site and they will have a list of CPU's and the temperature ranges. Also, try "Tom's Hardware" site for info.

HOLY Crap! Thats hot... I have a 2500 Barton and I don't let it go above 45c!

Sirius776:

56C is not hot for an Athlon - they can run continuously for long times at 60C with no problems. It's all about the room temps & the heatsink / fans. For an XP1600+, probably the Palomino core which is pretty darn hot to begin with (the 1600+ may even run hotter than the 2500+, seriously) - plus AMD had pretty lousy retail heatsink / fans back then so those temps do sound quite normal.

yeah, i checked on the amd website, it took me a while to find the numbers, but for conversiaion, the cpu's get colder as the chipset evloved. from the thunderbird to the barton. the thunderbird being the hottest. being able to run something near 70c. i think the barton was about 55c - 60c
mine is the Palimino. It's my server, so when it started to beep i was pretty freaked

touregg
Not quite that much spread in critical temps.
Socket A's (Duron/Athlon's ALL) just 15C differance, from 80 to 95C.
Note* Critical!! beyond which the CPU is toast!

Also Note* NO socket "A" CPU will actual run anywhere near these temps, the typical temp for flakey unstable behaviour starting in the mid 60's C.
I found this rough CPU temp guide below.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back