Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

amd 1.4Ghz temp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagai

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
CA
Hi, I just got an AMD 1.4 Ghz T-bird with 256 DDR ram and Asus a7a266 mobo

I noticed that it is runnign very hot CPU: 65 C / 148 F and mobo 28 C / 82 F.

After some research i put in two 80mm intake fans, one at the bottom front and one in the side. Also put in a slot fan under the video card and a 80mm exhaust fan on the top.

My system is now at CPU 56 C and mobo 25 C / 78 F.

Does anyone know what the acceptable temp. is for a 1.4Ghz athalon is? I cannot find it on
From all my research 56 C still seems too high.

Thanks in advance

Hagai

Is it true that VIA chipsets are better worth buying then ALI? Coz i was thinking about switching my a7a266 for an a7v266 since some people told me it was more reliable.

Its freakin cold up here in montreal, my room window is open so my room is around 18 C, my cpu case is open got two extra fans in there. I have all the updates for all my hardware including the bios for mobo and still, it crashes on me when i play games or run winamp. It is quite frustrating when you come to think that i spent so much for a brand new comp that is so much less reliable.

If you go to (its a 1.7mb PDF file) and in the bookmarks click on PGA Socket A-Based Specifications and scroll and double click Socket A-Based Processor Specifications you will see Athlon 1.1Ghz and below is rated at 90 degrees celcius and 1.1GHz and above is rated at 95 degrees celcius..

I myself run a 1.33GHz @ 1.45GHz and it idles at 40 degrees celcius.. a mate with a 1.4GHz not overclocked has what we considered extremely high temps (similar to what u guys have been getting yourselfs) ... I've tried to find the solution and I keep reading Asus probes read incorrect, my Abit KT7A reads great, but most of all.. his temps and yours aint really that bad based on what the AMD pdf file states..

Running an Asus A7A266 with a 1.2 Tbird, not Od'd, yet. With a Volcano 7 she idles at about 50 degrees C, and prime95 for 30 minutes only took it too 57. Got a 4500 rpm discharge fan and 2600 rpm intake fan on an Inwin case. What heat sink fan combo are you running? The Volcano 7 works super and I got mine for less than 20 bucks. I had to file on it just a little to get it to clear one of the caps on the mb. If you do this be sure and blow out all of the filings. I also removed the factory heatsink material and lapped the bottom with real fine sandpaper and then used arctic silver paste. With a volcano 2 I was running about 8 degrees C higher. I just upgraded to 1009 bios and no change. I have read from various sources that this mb presents about a 10 degree higher than actual report. I am using Motherboard Monitor and not Asus probe.

I had the same problem as a lot of you.. i was running amd 1.4 and was idling at about 50-55 c.. I decided to fix it so i started out with a new case.. i bought an alienware case that has 4 stock fans, and added a 5th, then i added a volcano 6 and tried it out, and magicly my temp jumped from 55 to about 30 at idle... so i guess i can only think of one piece of advice.. VENTILATION... if you have to go spend 100 bucks on a new case so be it, if it works, it workds... plus now, not only does my comp run cooler, it looks cooler too.. those alienware cases are sweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back