Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

amd 1.2GHz processor temperature 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
Hi,
Does anyone know what temperature range the amd 1.2 should comfortably work in? I am having a few problems with mine and I think they are heat related. The temp is around 40 degrees C at idle but after 5 mins on full load it sits at around 75 C. Is this too hot?
I have a mini super orb with twin fans for cooling.

Hey Mello,
Does the power supply have a fan? Meaning one sucking in and one blowing out. Is the processor under the power supply?
If it is under the power supply, you need to have a power supply with sucking the air from the cpu. Or else the hot air is just gonna accumulate close to the cpu and heat it up more. I have a 1ghz and it goes to 60C because I have no fan blowing the hot air from the cpu. But when I open my case and have a desk fan blow on it, it goes to 44C!! Amazing what a little air blowing can do.
-Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.

To Mello!
You have got to get cool air to the CPU!!
The best heatsink and fan combination in the world is totally useless when all the CPU fan is doing is blowing warm air at the heatsink.
I carn't stress too much how important it is to ensure the coolest supply of air gets directly to the CPU fan and heatsink.This obviously depends on how warm the ambient air is around your PC.
My solution is to mount an 80mm case fan level with the CPU and with a short piece of ducting (heater vent pipe the type they use in a car dashboard) route the pipe so that cool air blows directly on the CPU heatsink and fan.
Let us know how you get on MARTIN

Hi everyone;

I just found this on the web and I must share.

For the ultimate cpu cooling (if you got $650.00 that you don't need), check out Asetek's VapoChill. Runs an 1.2Ghz overclocked to 1.6ghz at 19 deg C (-2 F).

I'm sure it dim's the lights in the neighborhood too!

Make mine on the rocks.

Ed

Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

holy *** Ed!! Can you have the link up for us so we can take a look at this product. Sounds pretty interesting. -Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.

Hi Ma3x323;

Sure, I guess it would have been nice if I would have included the links in the first place. DUH !

This is the review I found:
This is the manufacturers home page:
Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

do those 80mm case fans running at around 2500 rpm actually help at all? is 2500 too slow? or is mine broken.

Hello, I'm back. Looks like it's an ambient air problem. I have conditioned air in here. And in the room where the pcs are it's the hotest place. So I put a fan outside the room to push air in the pc room. Now after 1hr, the idle temp is now 49celcius/107F. But the full load temp never changed. Either the door closed and the room hot, or with cool air blowing in the room I always have 57-58celicus/125-127F. I can't wait to see how cool it will run in fall or winter...

Ma3x323: Yes my power supply have a fan, it's actually a pretty good one: It's an Antec smart power supply. The fan is auto adjusting speed if more or less air is needed.

You need a good fan (volcano II) and an extra case fan or two one forcing air in and one more on the exit. The cpu fan pulls the heat from the CPU anf the extra fans help keep the inside of the case cool. note the fans have direction of air flow on them.. a normal 1.2 g AMD run from 109 deg to 130 deg..

hello, I have an amd axia 1.2 clocked at 1.35 w/ an kt7a-r mobo, lian-li allum case (drops temp up to 10 deg lower than the standard case), enermax 370w smart fan(really works well with its 2 fans one sucking out just above the cpu) vantec alpha ($35 and probably the best out there fan spinning @6300, 2 80cm fans in lower front on high (3 speed) and one 80 cm fan in the rear @ cpu, running cheapo thermal grease with the room at 72.5F. My cpu temp sisoft 28c/84f running seti, sisoft,setispy, snagit, Opera and winamp.
I think this is fairly cool, would artic silver help?

I have an AMD 1.333 overclocked to 1.46 that was running at around 50C. I installed a 2CoolPC fan ( ) into my system and sysoft now tells me I'm running at 42C. I ran MechWarrior4 for 3 hours and never got above 44C.

You need to make sure that if you're running ATX that your air is sucked in through the bottom of your case and pushed out through the top. If your running AT it is just the opposite. I had a good article on this, but I can't find it at the moment.

:)

if u have a atx...u said blowk in the air from bottom and sucking the air out form the top....with that...would the card coolers help or just mess up the air flow?

In response to mello and his extreme temps. ive noticed an increase of 8 degrees (upto 50c on full load) in my cpu temp (1.2athlon) since two of my four little round rubber pads that sit near the edge of the cpu came off, thus resulting in the heat sink not being seated straight on the cpu resulting in improper heat dispersion. Ive come to the conclusion the extreme temps that have been discussed in this forum can only be one of the few possibilities im about to mention. 1. A crappy fan/heatsink and/or a cramped and ineffecient intake and exhaust of air. Note: too many intake fans and bad positioning (like intake fans at the back) can cause heat increase rather then decrease in temps.
2.A fan and heat sink not not positioned straight on the cpu.
3. Or the worst case scenario (and the most unlikely) a dodgy cpu.
So i'd say check and sort the above and if if your still getting temps that are in the 50's (celsius) the problem may be number 3 on my list. Good luck

Fall cool air coming in my room! ;) I can get 46-53celicus max load on my cpu now. ;) Thank you cold air of fall! ;)

We build high end T/Birds all the time and once the cooling is correctly addressed - no problems.
Something to consider though, we have removed more Orbs from customer machines than any other fan type because they could not disperse heat fast enough on their own without a good cross flow of air though the case - they look good but don't perform well.
Also AMD do not recommend the use of heat paste on their Skt A CPUs, only the heat transfer pad on the bottom of the heatsink, there is some suggestion that they may not honour warranty claims if heat paste is found on the CPU!!!

Where can I find a list of recommended max temperatures for different Athlon/Duron CPU's? I can’t remember seeing one at the AMD site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back