Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ambient MD5628D only connecting at 33.6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

damiandixon

Programmer
Mar 25, 2001
GB
I've just installed a Ambient chipset modem and it will only connect at 33.6, which while significantly better then the old modem, is no-where near what I expected considering it is meant to be V90.

I have tried a different machine and modem, which is V90, on the same line using the same cables and that modem connects to the same ISP at speeds greater then 33.6.

I have downloaded the latest drivers.

Is there any way of forcing the modem to use V90?

Could my problem be missing sections in the '.inf' file? If so how can I update the settings?

Basically any suggestions or help would be appritiated.

Thanks
Damian

I had a similar problem. I refurbish old computers for low-income families, and I went nuts trying to get a new Ambient modem to go faster on one computer. I finally moved the modem to a second computer, and on the second computer it worked fine. The modem on the second computer also worked at full speed on the first computer.

I've just reformatted the hard drive on the second computer, and need to reinstall the Ambient modem, and I can't locate the modem driver CDROM. I found your message while looking for a download.

Harriet Bograd

Just wondering how much memory you have, because the Ambient HaM modems apparently don't like working with less than 64mb. My sister installed one in her 16mb(!?!) machine and it wouldn,t stay connected for more than three seconds! Found that out from a technical phone line where the guy had had the same probs and installed it in a system with more memory where it worked fine.

Thanks for your replay.

I currently only have 49Mb of memory. I'll see if I can borrow some more memory to try 64Mb.

Sadly the machine is not worth upgrading other then with cast-offs.

I had hoped a cheap modem would provide a stop-gap until I could buy a new machine (then throw this modem away).

There is something that I think that you should know

I looked at some USrobotics docs and they seem to tell us the following: in order to connect at 56Kbps (note that these are bits not bytes) you ISP needs to have ISDN interface with the phone company!

see
and

for forther details

If your ISP does not supports all these feature you will not be able to connect faster then 33Kbps.

In my oppinion adding ram will not sole anything begause you modem is "hardware" meaning that it does not relies on CPU and/or RAm to do his job.

So ask you ISP to find out if they have x2 facilities. If not ... 33Kbps is good enough and compresion will encrease your speed enough. The channel assigned for a dial-up connection by you ISP is less the 5-6Kbps anyway. The rest up to 33 or 56 is for the connection between you end them only

Anything above 33.6 is only on the download side of your connection.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I have solved the issue by installing the latest Intel HaM drivers from their support site.

Version is 4.12 / Aug 3rd 2001

Following installation, the modem is reporting V.90 @ 40,000.

File download is in the region of 4.6k per second.

Same problem 33,600 bps but different no on the chip, I have md6628d-l-b If you are still around Mr UKChap, perhaps you would be kind enough to post a direct link to the driver which cured your problem so I (and MANY others I suspect) can sort theirs!!! Thanks.:)
e-mail: robin@rgrice.worldonline.co.uk

I think this is the link you are looking for - the current intel link is for v92 and not v90. i installed the v92 and was getting lame speeds compared to my pre-winme system with the same modem. anyhow enough blabbing - enjoy.

alter the *** bit to either:

winme (i.e. develo.....ham334winme.htm)
win9x
nt4
win2k

any probs/success, lemme know (brothersaqib@hotmail.com)

Sincerely,
Saqib.
(muslim)
(not all muslims are as bad as the media makes you think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back