Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amazon Cloud for your Personal Files? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
So I see that Amazon has been providing cloud backup solutions for large business, and now they are using the backbone from that to offer cloud backup for home users as well.

So I got to thinking for the unlimited plan they are now offering - $60/year, that seems pretty doggone cheap and incredible from that perspective. What I don't know about yet is in how I would prefer to backup to the cloud, and whether their app would decide to control my backups instead of my controlling it my way.

Since it's the cloud, if I'm going to back up my files, I think I'd prefer to built a routine at home that basically zips everything up and creates similarly sized files, so some sort of file-splitter routine, and encrypt everything before uploading.

Does anyone here have any experience with Amazon cloud? I'm using it now for free photos backup from our phones (b/c for now I'm a "Prime" member anyway). I have read that they don't let you create your own folders/directories and such, but I've not taken the bait yet to try out the new setup for myself, so I can't be for sure yet.

What I'd like to be able to do is force the phone photo backups to go to a specific subfolder, and then all my backups from home to go to another subfolder, and then I'd create my own backup files, and not just say, "suck all my data into the cloud without checking with me first."

Any thoughts? Any other providers possibly a better choice based on price/privacy/options/other reasons?

Thanks for any thoughts. I haven't dug into it as deep as I want to yet, but thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this end?

Also, any experience from a strictly business side of things with cloud backup to Amazon? They seem to be keeping their servers in pretty tip-top shape.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Also, this would go the same for "small businesses". I'm not sure if they have a separate small business plan from personal vs corporate vs whatever. They may have it listed somewhere, I've just not looked. I deal with a few small businesses for tech support on occasion besides my full-time job, so I'd be interested in any input there as well. I have been at least mentioning the idea to some of them, but these folks aren't exactly the most tech-savy. [smile]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Hi

I haven't tried Amazon Cloud yet so I can't speak specifically to that service but as far as the infrastructure, security and business services goes Amazon is top notch. We use various Amazon services to run the websites eng-tips/engineering.com and have nothing but good things to say.

As far as selecting a backup system my preference is to stay within the same "ecosystem". The features and functions of the backup services are all becoming very similar. Operating services from different providers can be more costly in the long run and often you lose out on some of the other benefits they give you by doing more. If you like Amazon stick with it. If you are Microsoft person, OneDrive is a good option as is Google Drive.

Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back