Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

amavis-new requires Digest::MD5 v2.22

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin69

MIS
May 4, 2004
US
I am very new to Linux. I have been installing SpamAssassin along with Razor and Amavis-new. I am installing on a FC4 box. When I try to issue any commands to amavisd, it tells,

Digest::MD5 version 2.22 required--this is only version 2.20 at /usr/local/sbin/amavisd line 1359.

I have searched everywhere, but am unable to find out how to update this. I tried updating my perl to perl-5.8.6-22.i386.rpm, but this only tells me,

rom package perl-5.8.6-15
file /usr/share/man/man1/s2p.1.gz from install of perl-5.8.6-22 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-15
file /usr/share/man/man1/splain.1.gz from install of perl-5.8.6-22 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-15
file /usr/share/man/man1/xsubpp.1.gz from install of perl-5.8.6-22 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-15
file /usr/share/man/man3/CGI::Cookie.3pm.gz from install of perl-5.8.6-22 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-15
file /usr/share/man/man3/ExtUtils::Liblist.3pm.gz from install of perl-5.8.6-22 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-15

on just about every file in the file system... LOL...

Anyways, I am seriously frustrated, and think I need a little nudge to get off the ground again.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, comments, or just plain laughing, because I do know I am in over my head, but what not a better way to lear.

Thanks,
Ken

What command are you using to attempt upgrade the perl package? It looks like you might be using rpm -i (install) when you should be using rpm -U (update).

On a Red Hat (AS2.1) system I've just checked the MD5 perl module is actually part of another package caleld perl-Digest-MD5, so I'd say that's the one you really need to update. No harm in updating perl as well though...

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic,

I think you are on the money, but I am still getting,

[root@spamfilter ~]# rpm -U perl-Digest-MD5-2.25-8.i386.rpm
file /usr/share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz from install of perl-Digest-MD5-2.25-8 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-15
file /usr/share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz from install of perl-Digest-MD5-2.25-8 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-22

I think that it is just not going to let me update my Digest::MD5 until I update my perl. I downloaded perl-5.8.6-22.i386.rpm, but that is the version I am already running. Does anyone know what the latest version of Perl for FC4 is? I am assuming that if I update to the latest version, it will update my Digest::MD5 as well.

Thanks for any help, as I am am lost and to the point of desperation.... ha!

Ken

Hmm... it looks like you already have conflicting packages installed. It's strange that the existing MD5.pm is part of the perl package, and the one you are installing is part of a separate package. Did you obtain both packages from the same source (i.e. RedHat)?

I would remove both packages (and possibly any other perl-related packages) and then install them afresh, making sure that you were using either matching perl and perl-Digest-MD5 packages, or a complete perl package including the version of MD5.pm that you need.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back