Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I Right to Feel Peeved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkerr

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
Hi! As sole IT person for a small business, I have primary responsibility for the well-being of computers. Besides my primary desk, I have a separate area for computer storage and repair - which is overflowing at the moment because of a office consolidation. However, its organized (my way) and simply needs to be gone through.

Today, one of my users came to me and asked me for a can of air. When I asked why, she said its because they needed to clean up a filthy computer. I hadn't thought her computer was dirty, so I asked what computer? This is when I learned that two NON-IT employees were setting up a "ghost" office (for the purpose of shooting a commercial), but they were taking computers from my storage location. Turning them on, etc.

I wouldn't mind this so much, but this was the first I'd heard of this project. No one asked me to start messing with my area, or even informed me it would have happened. I guess I'm not so much peeved that they used the computers, but that they didn't ask first - or heck, even just telling me what they were going to do (prior to actually doing it) would have been nice.

Am I right to feel peeved? Or is this a "fine, whatever" move on and allow them to make a mess of my area situation?

What would you do in this situation? Talk to management (who told them to do this), ignore it, what?

Your peeve is with management that didn't tell you it was happening and for you to make computers available.

It should have been your choice which boxes were used.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I would feel 'peeved'. Especially if I was being held responsible for the equipment. Do you know what they are going to do with the stuff? Maybe film a safety video and drop equipment on the floor?

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Okay, so how do I approach the management with this issue? I'm a very non-confrontational person (particularly with my "superiors"), so is there any TACTFUL way to cover this?

Do I just say that I'm peeved? Do I approach it as a "it's not you, it's me" kind of attitude?

I was thinking about asking about job responsibility clarification - perhaps I'm not responsible for desktops like I thought I was? Are my duties shifting to someone else?

Ask you management for a short informal meeting. The meeting (on your part) should go like this:

I have a concern that might be due to a misunderstanding. It is my understanding that I am responsible for the desktops in storage. However, I was surprised to find that several had been removed without my knowledge. They are currently being used for this video and my concern is that since I am responsible for them I would be held liable for any damage or loss of the desktops. So I just wanted to get clear - am I responsible for the desktops in storage?

Then take it from there. If you aren't responsible, request they all be removed from your area. If you are responsible, ask for more information on this project - how many computers, etc. are they going to be using? When will they be returned? And politely request that you be included in any requests for desktops in the future.

Remember, it's a done deal already...you just want to find out your responsibilities and keep it from happening in the future.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

If you are held accountable for the equipment, I would also get hand receipts for whatever they take out. It's a short hop out the door, and if you are ever audited, it can be very embarrassing and detrimental to your career if thousands of dollars worth of equipment are missing on your watch.
How can I say this with such great certainty, you may ask. From bitter experience, says I.

Get a lock with code and key!

(And a note on the door: "any attempt to take this equipment may result in a in loss of your user account")

;-) (Did someone say BOFH?)

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

I know I would be Royally 'Peeved Off' if this happened to me!

Controlling the knee-jerk reaction is good, though, as is SQLBill's excellent advice about a "short informal meeting" - far and away the very best thing you can do, I think - nice one Bill [wink]

Chris

If yer see a Rook on 'is own, im's a Crow. If yer sees a flock o' Crows, them's Rooks - My Uncle Cecil

I'm with Steve. Any company small, med, or big should have their computer storage under lock and key (with limited copies made). Too many items from storage will sprout legs and wander off.

Unfortunately with small business there you don't see much formality as you do with larger businesses. Believe me, the last two were small and I've had to make it very clear to people why items need to be under lock and key.
I also place an item addressing this within the Computer Use Policy (i.e. "Any attempt to access areas that are used for server or computer storage without prior permission will face consequences up to termination of employment.")

Not only is there an issue of equipment going walkabout, but there is also the issue that this area is used for the repair of equipment.

Therefore there is the health and safety aspect, in that the people who have taken the machines do not know which of the machines are safe to use.

In the UK any machine which is being used needs to be periodically tested for electrical safety, and who would be responsible if a machine gave someone a shock?

Also the health and safety boys would have a field day if you are working on machines in an open office, where people could potentially get hurt from parts of a machine, how often have we (as IT engineers) cut fingers etc on open cases, and we know the risks.

Perhaps, you could use this and the security of the equipment to put a case forward for a secure area in which to store/repair the equipment you are lead to believe you are responsible for.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

If it hasn't been said that the computers are yours or not, then, as the sole IT person, I would think they are yours by default. I would be peeved too and would do as SQLBill suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back