Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

always too many files open on Win NT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

codo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2001
ID
i'm running foxpro 2.5 for dos application on windows NT 4.0, i already set my config.sys and config.nt with files=500 (or more) command to increase the opened files but the error message keep showing.
on my other computer the foxpro application can running well (with same config.sys configuration).
Does somebody had an idea for this problem?? thx

Codo,
its strange.
As files may be 8 - 255,
i think value greater 255 resulted to rejecting command,
and staying value 8.
Is your config.nt in \yoursystemroot\SYSTEM32 ?
"on your other computer the foxpro application can running well (with same config.sys configuration)", i.e. files=500 ?
Tesar

You could also try right clicking on the application icon, click properties and check the memory tab. Change all settings to AUTO. Suresh Mukhi

Are the tables on the workstation or on a network file server? Is it NT/2000 or Novell? If Novell, what client are you running?

Rick

The following line needs to appear in the windows\system.ini file.

PerVMFiles = 225

right after the line

[386enh]

Dan

You need to set the FILES=?? on the machine where the ptogram will run.

So what OS is the OTHER computer is running?

Dan's message is probably your best suggestion to resolve the "Too many files open" error. We encountered it on many but not all WinMe workstations immediately after switching from a Novell 5 server to a Windows 2000 server. (Hmmm, is this a hint from Microsoft not to run DOS anymore? Or just not to run serious business applications on WinMe?)

Why? Microsoft Knowledge Base Article # 269030 says...

With WinMe and DOS, FILES and BUFFERS settings do not function. Instead of Files, use PerVMFiles setting. This setting increases the number of available file handles in each MS-DOS virtual machine (VM) and is implemented by adding the following line to the [386Enh] section of the System.ini file: PerVMFiles=number

In Windows Me, each MS-DOS VM is given the default FILES value of 30 file handles. The maximum number of file handles a VM can have is 255. Because the total number of file handles cannot exceed 255, the maximum PerVMFiles setting is 225. This value, plus the 30 made available by default, equals the maximum total of 255. You must restart Windows Me after the change.

Both the Files= and Buffers= statements in the Config.sys file are ONLY used when starting your computer with a WinMe Startup Disk that includes a Config.sys with these settings. If your DOS program does not run in Windows because it needs a Files or Buffers setting in the Config.sys file, then you may be able to start your computer with a WinMe Startup Disk that includes these settings and run the program in Real mode.

Step by step the easy way:

From Start/Run, type MSCONFIG.
Select the SYSTEM.INI tab.
Highlight the [386Enh] group.
(Click on the + to see the items in this group.)
Add this line (or edit if there):
PerVMFiles = 225
Note: You may not need to go as high as 225.
The maximum value is 225 (plus 30 already allocated).
Click Apply or OK when finished.
When finished, Windows will want to ReStart.
(I prefer saying No and then doing a ShutDown.)

well guys thanx a lot for your help, it already works

I noticed that this question was concerning Windows NT 4. In that case find CONFIG.NT and add "FILES=100". (It can be any number up to 225 but no higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back