Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

always disconnects at 1092.2 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

siers

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
AU
Our modem (Dynalink V1456VQE) on our Slackware 8 Linux server with a dedicated connection to Telstra Pig Pond Direct, always decides to disconnect when the connection time reaches 1092.2 minutes (according to the modem, it's caused by a retrain failure) and I'm stuffed to know why. The account is a permanent connection, so there is no idle time or maximum connection time, there is no call waiting and there are no other phones/appliances on that telephone line.

I have tried two different modems (a Genius GM52flexE-V as well) and they both do it. Any suggestions?

it strikes me as odd that that is 2^16 seconds, some counter is overflowing somewhere.

2^16 is 65536 seconds is 1092.2 minutes The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

just another thing to add, is that just after I submitted this post, the modem was due for disconnect, and about 1 minute before it did, the Carrier Detect light went off for about 3 seconds, then back on, but the modem still transferred data till it disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back