Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Always boots to Rommon

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolf52

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
I am setting up a new 3620 router and i cant get it to boot to the initial configuration. It keeps boothing to the rommon prompt. I have changed the confreg 0x2142 and back to 0x2102 and i get the same results.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Does the router have a valid image in flash? From rommon you can see what files are in the flash.

yeah i dont think there is an image to begin with. This is the first "new" router I have worked on. I am now pushing an ios image to it thru xmodem. Is that the preferred way to push a first time image to a router?

thanks

If this was brand new out of the box it should have had an image on it. And Xmodem is the most common from rommon mode to push an ios image. There are other ways to do it but go with what you know I always say.

ok new problem. I finally got the image uploaded to the router and I went in and changed the confreg back to 0x2102 and rebooted and now I get

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
C3600 processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 32 bit mode with parity disabled

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xc79810
Self decompressing the image : #################################################
################################################################################
### [OK]

it just sits there and I never get a prompt.

Also, i cant get back into rommon. What is the "break" sequence to get the router to boot into rommon? I thought it was ctrl + break but that give me

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(20)AA2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
PC = 0xbfc0a024, Cause = 0x2000, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

I am super frustrated so any help will be appreciated

thanks in advance

The break sequence on my PC is `Function break'maybe specific to your keyboard layout.

Check the file size in flash against the details on cisco.com, you may have a corrupt image. This has happend to me a couple of times,

found the problem

according to cisco TAC the image was too big for RAM, it was compressed enough to fit on the 32 meg of flash but when it de-compressed it was too big to load all of it into ram so it just hung. tried a smaller image and had no problems

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back