Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to SQL Data Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xift

Programmer
Jun 21, 2003
US
Can anyone recommend alternatives to the SQL Data Manager supplied with Pervasive.SQL? It works okay for the most part, but I have a growing list of little annoyances and wish-list items:

[ul disk]
[li]want to specify server and database on command line or in shortcut[/li]

[li]want keypresses to run a query to grid or text windows instead of having to click the toolbar buttons[/li]

[li]want the program to remember its window position and size[/li]

[li]want Ctrl+S to save, like in a normal windows program[/li]

[li]on shutdown, it asks if you want to save or abandon the text, but doesn't give the option to cancel the shutdown[/li]
[/ul]

I'm assuming any ODBC query editor will work as a replacement, but don't know which ones to try. Thanks for any leads.

- Todd

Mirthiel, I was hoping you might have some thoughts on this. Any suggestions?

Can't help on most of the behavior but running the queries can be done with keypresses. For example, to run all queries, press ctrl-shift-a.
Ctrl-S saves for me. Make sure you're at V8 SP2 (that's what I've got now).
Have you take a look at the V9 product. Pervasive has changed the PCC quite a bit from what I've seen (I had the beta).
I've always used SQLDM for queries but then I prefer to develop with the Btrieve side of things.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

Oh well, thanks for the info. The 8.00 version doesn't do Ctrl+Shift+A or Ctrl+S.

I found a mildly cumbersome way to run a statement by hitting Alt+TQR or Alt+TQT, but they are each about two keypresses longer than I like. =)

The boss did say we could possibly upgrade as soon as May if our main product vendor says it will work correctly with their software.

Do you know of any alternate products that others use? Are there DB-neutral query tools? And would such a tool communicate with Pervasive the way that SQLDM does, or does that use any proprietary interfaces?

8.00 to 8.60 isn't a major upgrade but more of a minor update.
I haven't used any so I'm not sure of any other tools. THere is a PVQUERY.EXE on Component ZOne ( that is a command line tool for issuing SQL commands.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back