Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative UPS power source (batteries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

makisole

Programmer
Sep 13, 2004
GR
I have a rather old Trust UPS (600VA) which needs its batteries to be replaced. I wonder, what would happen if I replaced them with a different battery, for example my car's battery? Would it function properly or will it destroy the whole UPS?

Thank you...

I don't think you should try to rig something of the sort up to an old UPS, the voltages might be the same but you might be creating a fire hazard. Your better off replacing the batteries with the same type or buying a new UPS.

You car battery will take longer to recharge than the smaller battery that is in your UPS. Thus, some components might heat up and indeed take fire.
I've seen that once: people who have put two car batteries in parralel on an old 650 VA UPS. The UPS took fire after a few months of operation.
It can work, but be careful and don't try to oversize your battery.

Why not use the trade-up program from APC where they give you credit for your old UPS that must be applied to the purchase of a new APC unit ?

One thing I know for sure: YOUR CAR WON'T START!

Not too sure about the TradeUPS Program - APC still ends up to be expensive.

Better option would be to hit and purchase a SmartUPS 700 - looks like they are only $99...

For home use I wouldn't mind buying cheaper or refurbished UPSes but not in a corporate production environment...

I see what you mean but it really is dependant on the warranty a vendor offers - keep in mind that even APC offers refurbished equipment....

You be surprised at the cost savings - typically you can purchase 2 UPS units for the price of one....

Hi,
there are some differences between the startup battery(car battery) and the standby battery(UPS battery).One of the differences is the structure of the battery, the plastic of the startup battery is stronger to resist the impacts of the car, the plastic that is used on a standby battery is fire retardant.Other difference is the internal components and structure.The startup battery is design to give big amounts of current(almost short-circuit) during a short period of time(like the startup of the car), the standby battery is design to give big amounts of current during long periods of time(UPS deep discharges).Other difference, normally, is the ellectrolit of the battery, the startup battery use a liquid electrolit and it can be maintained, the standby battery normally(on small power ups´s) uses maitenance-free battery with gel ellectrolit.
The big difference that you can see on the two battery used to power a ups is the amp/hour.The battery of car are too big for the charger of the ups, and in some cases it can damage the battery charger on the ups because the charge current is not enough to charge the battery, and if it dont´t damage the ups, the battery is not properly charged, in a long term usage is going to reduce the espected life of the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back