Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to VG224's

Status
Not open for further replies.

murph51

Technical User
Nov 30, 2005
US
We are 60% complete with Nortel to CIsco implementation at a large hospital. As you may know, hospitals are analog intensive. We are now faced with what to do with our 1500+ analog devices. The thought of 50 VG224's or 25 VG248's and the associated electrical, physical space, and HVAC requirements force us to look for an alternative. Does anyone have knowledge of a high density analog gateway to replace these devices.

Conversion of patient rooms to expensive VOIP phones is not an option. Not only is there the instrument cost, but the cost of POE in all IDF's.

Actually VG224 are your only option. VG228 are discontinued and although more robust that the VG224 are now obsolete.
Sorry there is not another option with a higher density than the VG224.

VG224's are not that bad, I have a similar setup at work. 1400 analog extensions connected to 64 gateways. All fitted in three 30U racks. Most of the issues encountered were based around resilience, I managed to work out a config to ensure that they remain available in case of a network interface going down. Also worth noting is that MGCP enabled gateways lose many of the features - stick to H323 or SCCP.

Greeting to all....We are using two vg224 for analog service and have seen som problems on out going faxes call goes thre get fax tone and then it goes to busy anyone have this problem?

Thanks for any interest

We have a stack of 24 (!) VG224's in a 6' open frame rack. I have to agree, coming from a TDM world this "solution" is borderline ludicrous. We came very close to installing a MITEL 3300 Analog Gateway to address this. It's a nice box that is at least worth considering.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

For Soleman 52....

There is a configuration setting you need to make for your VG224s' to become modem and fax friendly. I apologize that I do not have the particulars close at hand, but we had similar issues with Faxes and modems. I'm sure with the wellspring of knowledge in this forum that someone will be able to direct you.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

An alternative is the Cisco 112-FXS Bundle. Basically this is a 3945 router with 112 analogue ports.
It would also be a more costly option than using VG224's.

I did some quick calcs previous and the 112 on the 3945 was double the price. Best option is to buy the 4 bundle o vg224's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back