Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to TTX for CR9 on SQL Server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
US
Hi all,

I'm converting a VB6 application that runs about 60 CR9 reports on a Pervasive database, to run on SQL Server. I'm using a VB form to generate the SQL for each report on the fly. When I originally built the application I used TTX files, but I vaguely remember that I had to do this due to the connection I had to use with the Pervasive database, and that if I were using SQL Server I could use an easier/faster alternative to TTXs. Is this true, does anyone know? What, if any, are the alternatives to using TTX files in a situation like this, with CR9?

Many thanks.

Robin

TTX files are temporary stand-ins for a record set used at design time. They are used because (unlike a table) they don't exist at design time and so that report can't connect to them. TTX files have nothing to do with the platform of the data.

Are you confusing TTX files with DDF Files, which are unique to connecting to pervasive data?

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides for Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, VB, .NET, Tips and Tricks

Thanks for the response. No, I don't think I'm confusing TTX files with what you mention. I do remember (over two years ago) that I was hoping to move stand-alone reports (either based on tables/views or a SQL command) into the VB application and have the VB app just override the SQL command with what was generated by the application. I learned from Crystal support that I needed to use TTX files as a kind of intermediate step, but that there was also an alternative. Are you aware of one, or does it sound like I'm confused? I've done a good bit of research on the web, but haven't found anything that explains what I remember...

Many thanks.

Robin

I think you may be confused. What exactly did you do with the TTX in this intermediate step?

Thanks again for your help on this.

I worked out a number of steps in converting stand-alone RPT files from being based on tables to being incorporated in the VB app I've mentioned. First I converted the RPT to run on an SQL command, then I generated a TTX file and converted the report to be based on that TTX file. Then I imported the RPT based on a TTX into the Report Design Component within the VB app, did a bit of tweaking to finalize, and then had users run the report from within the VB application (all SQL in the VB app -- the SELECT statement was static in a module, and the WHERE clause was generated from parameters entered in the VB form). I guess I'm hoping that with CR XI and SQL Server (not sure if I'll be using VB.Net or VB6) I can make this process simpler...

Robin

Robin,

If the report was based on a SQL command, or even a single table, then I don't think you needed to go through a TTX. I think you could have just taken the report based on a command and imported it into your app. If I understand it correctly (and I don't do much programming) you only needed a TTX when there was no table/command/view that matches the structure of your recordsset. Since the command matches your recordset it should import and be ready. If you had a 2 table report then you might have needed to go through a TTX. Try importing the report using the command and see if you can get it to accept the same data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back