Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to GoToMyPC or Citrix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo1961

Technical User
Nov 12, 2014
IE
I have been asked to find an alternative to using GoToMyPC or Citrix to run over a WAN that spans the whole of IRELAND, UK and POLAND.

Our setup:

Windows 2003 Server with 2003 SQL server as a Backend
Access Frontend linked to SQL server via OBDC on several desktops in the home office from which remote users can log in. Offices in UK, IRELAND and POLAND remote in using GoToMyPC to these desktops.

Now we have tried using Remote Desktop Services on our server as an alternative to GoToMyPC but found out this was very slow. Having put the VPN in place successfully between locations, and tested the speed of the MS Access database applications across it, it is clear that the speed of the connections from our internet service pricvider (Eircom) coupled with the fact that a MS Access front end is very resource heavy across networks, that using a FE copy and connecting to the SQL server over the VPN is not going to work efficiently

Can anyone give me alternatives to having this network set up correctly. Perhaps share ideas on the best approach to set up this kind of network.

Thanks

We do exactly what you state, Access FE with SQL BE via VPN GW2GW between us and London.

Things you have to bear in mind when doing this is how the SQL is written, if you use joins in the VBA, it will grind the thing to a halt due to the way Access gets all records from all tables in the join and then performs the join creating the result.

The way I resolved this is by creating views on the SQL server and then used the view as the linked table.

I also moved to using T-SQL, stored procedures and linked servers SQL side with distributed transactions, to streamline and speed the whole thing up, it turned an unusable application into a usable one.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

@1DMF,

This is perfect, same line of thought as well. Now, I just need to teach myself T-SQL and Stored Procedure and running these queries on the server side instead of the FE.

Now the learning really begins...
Thank you very much for the reply

No problem, good luck and have fun.

I didn't even know what a 'view' was when it was first suggested to me many years ago when discussing the same issues I had with our applications.

Took a little time to learn and implement as well having to adapt to a totally new design paradigm shift, but was seriously worth it in the end as the results were rather impressive considering how slow it was running prior to these changes.

We now have remote users running the apps in France and even South Africa on a daily basis, currently with only 2 x ADSL+2 lines, load balanced with one dedicated to the GW2GW VPN linking the two SQL servers with the other for the remote users to VPN to our network (plus supports all in-house internet access needs of 20 staff and Exchange).

After 5 years, I have finally convinced the boss to upgrade to 40/100 fibre optic lease line, it should run faster than Usain Bolt when it's finally installed at the end of this month :)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back