Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlogg

MIS
Oct 26, 1998
AU
Does anyone know a useable alternative to Citrix for a mixed Mac and Windows network?
Citrix is one of the worst products I have ever come across and causes one of my clients continual grief.

Schlogg,
going back to your message on Nov 19th you mentioned that all of your problems started when you installed citrix. If I read this correctly you imply that you installed citrix over an existing NT file server. If you did this is almost certainly the root of all your problems. The only ways I can see you may have done this is if you already had NT$ TSE installed on the server or if you installed the terminal service on a win 2k box and then installed Citrix. The problem is that metaframe installs make a lots of registry changes designed to tune the system for multi user use. The installation is not however able to make these modifications to apps that are already installed. That is partly why there is an install mode on metaframe which applications must be installed using. Secondly although metaframe is NT based it should be thought of more as a client machine than a server. You shouldn't be installing stuff like SQL, exchange, oracle or anything else that is normally a server only application. Finally when you installed your applications did you use the relevant transform files/application compatibiltiy scripts? If not then don't expect them to work correctly.

The installation and software set up instructions are all well documented - you need to install a clean NT4 TSE/W2k/XP, etc, then install Metaframe over the top, then install your applications in the correct manner. If you follow this sequence you should be OK. The type of application you install is irrelevant, as long as it will work with Metaframe - a lot of apps won't. It's worth noting that a lot of suppliers will not certify their products for Metaframe, and will not offer any support. So find out if the application will indeed run and what any issues are before installing it. Then you may have grounds for complaint if you have problems. We run test servers and check everything out fully before we deploy something. We have rejected some apps as being unsuitable. It would be nice if Citrix listed apps that are compatible, and did some testing and certification work for us instead of just saying "here's a product that might work for some stuff, but basically you're on your own". I can see why this might put some people off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back