Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative SBC to ASBCE - Server Edition (we have both physical server and server edition virtual)

finest

MIS
May 11, 2011
US
Looking for recommendations, warnings, caveats, tips & tricks, configuration advice for an alternative SBC to Avaya's ASBCE. Primary reason is that our customers cannot afford ASBCE. Please let me know any alternatives that have worked successfully along with any caveats, tips & tricks, etc... There are 25 J189 users on-site; 10 J189 users off-site; and 25 users off-site using Avaya Workplace on iOS and Mac (usually logged into both). Plus 25 SIP trunks. Thank you.

Server or ip500? We don't run the any sbc for our users but this is on server editing. We do use a firewall (fortigate) and have the ipo nailed down pretty tight.

I didn't think the IPO would work with any other sbc other than the avaya for remote users.

We prefer to use the ribbon sbc. Never been able to get it to work fir remote users. Also be keen to hear from anyone that has?

Server Edition — we have both server edition and server edition virtual — separate unconnected locations.

We are using Audiocodes Mediant for Softphone remote users / remote Workplace users.
S
We have never neen able to get the J1xx series to work with the CCMS sip massages.
I dont remember exactly but I believe it was somewhat like this:

(Digging far in my memory here...)

1) A sipphone user usually registers by just sending a register message. But the J10xx series registers the phone extension itself by using a register message. Now the user still has to register, I believe when a user logs in on a phone the jserie send an subscribe/notify ... or something similar to the IPO to do the registration. I think after some troubleshooting we got this to work. So a login , logout is done by a sip message that contains some kind of code.

2) Starting calls with a Jseries does not follow standard SIP protocol but it using a Avaya sip protocol using CCMS or something. The Audiocodes sbc has issues with the way the IPO and Jseries handle the calls. When a user on a deskphone starts a call, it does not send an invite to the IPO but it sends a notify (or something else, i forgot what it is) to the ipo that contains the number that needs to be dialed. The IPO on its turn then sends an invite to the deskphone that wants to start the call. We got basic calls to work through a Audiocodes Mediant but we had issues with transfers, confcalls, parking or holding calls.

I dont remember exactly if this is 100% , just know that this particular use of the SIP protocol is not really compatible with Mediant.

I talked to Audiocodes about this a few years back and there was not much they could do.

I also talked to Avaya, apparently to get the Jseries to work on the ASBCe they had to basically reinvent the way the ASBCe handles the calls..

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back