Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alternate pop3 email port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redss

Programmer
Oct 20, 2002
This forum is the closest I could find for this post, hope its not inappropriate here.

My company has recently annoyed everyone by blocking port 110 so we can no longer download personal email into outlook.

Does anybody know of any email services that offer pop3 access with a port other than 110 so I can bypass this?

thanks...

You could use webmail!

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

.... or just abide by the company rules and try not to get fired.

;-)

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

sorry iproute is in a bad mood.

no, pop3 uses port 110. you could however use an email address that offers http or IMAP mail and use outlook.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

redss - if you're on broadband, you could leave your home machine running all the time, and run your own pop3 server (on which you could then specify a non-standard port).

I know of no ISPs which use a non-standard pop3 port, and I doubt you will find any.

but I do agree with iproute - stick to the company rules and try not to get yourself fired! :)

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back