Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternate Function to "Match" or "Lookup"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephaerie

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
Here's the deal:
There are three fields (E,F, &G) affected by two ranges of information, A:B and C:D.
Field E is (=IF(SUM(H23:H30)+SUM(H61:H81)=0,"0"; IF((SUM(H23:H30)+SUM(H61:H81))>=8, 8,(SUM(H23:H30)+SUM(H61:H81)))
Field F is (=IF(Sum(A:B+C:D)>8, (Sum of A:B+C:D)-8, "0")

The formulas I have tried are:
Field F is (=IF(AND(Sum(A:B+C:D)>8, (Field G)=FALSE), (Sum of A:B+C:D)-8, "0")
Field G is (=IF(MATCH(OR("T","V"), C:D, 1), SUM(A:B+C:D)-8, "0")

I also tried (MATCH(OR("T","V"), C:D, 0); (MATCH(OR("T","V", C:D, -1) and the Lookup function.

What is needed is a function that will perform the specified task without calculating an error when the function for Field G is false. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

You either have to fix your data OR preceed the formula with "= IF(ISERROR(etc.

hi zephaerie
i think the "" s in your if statements are causing the problem. they're forcing the 0 to appear as text format not number format. just curious - did you post the same q on mr excel? looks familiar.
hth
schat

Schat, this is the only question I've posted on this subject. I'm sure many people have had similar problems though. I also tried just putting 0 as the placement for when the statement is false. The problem is with the actual function, which returns an error when false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back