Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Altering behaviour of pressing '0'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuxDude

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
GB
I am cursed with some particularly stupid users and they don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of pressing '9' or a line button before making a call, so instead they just lift the handset and dial the number they are calling. Since all UK area codes start with a 0 this is the first button they push and that makes the Norstar call my extension (221 - it is also the default extension for overflows, etc.).
Obviously my first choice would be to have this button send a large amount of current through their skulls, but I'd settle for being able to change the programming so pressing '0' without a line selected does nothing.
Any ideas?

Some of the phones on our system default to on outside line when you pick up the handset. If possible on your system, would seem to work around your issue.

Hope this helps.

Don

A good suggestion, but unfortunately not really workable in our situation. We do call centre stuff for a number of companies, so we have multiple outgoing lines - the staff have to use the different lines depending on which of the companies they are dealing with.

prime line to a pool is what you need . They can still press the icm key to make internal calls. They just need to be patient and make sure of what they want to do
before pressing icm or picking up the handset for an outside line. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Yep, that works.

Out of interest, is there any way to have the prime line still be Intercom, but not have the 0 key then call my extension? (This would be my preferred solution because it involves no real change to the way the users use their phones).

Yes, you can prime line the icm key and just receive internal DT. Why dont you remove the dial 0 from your extension and just have them dial your actual extension #. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I'm trying to remove whatever setting has 0 set to dial my extension number - I want them to have to dial the actual number. The problem is that I'm not 100% familiar with the Norstar, so I don't actually know why 0 dials me, or how to disable it.

(Thanks for your help :)

Lets try another option here. While in programming go into system programming
scroll down to access-codes and then to direct-dial. Change this from zero to another
number are just none. This should take care of your troubles. Please advise!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for (which is a bit hard when you don't know what it is that you're looking for ;)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back