Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alt Gr and Arrow Key? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankYou

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
GB
I'm using Windows XP on a Windows 2003 server, if I hold down Alt Gr and an Arrow Key (any direction), the screen changes dependant on which arrow I press, I don't have XP at home so I can't test this any other way, does this happen on all XP machines? is it an Easter Egg? (one of those non existent ones) or am I going crazzy, either way it is quite fun!

Cheers

Sam

"You couldn't fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine." - Homer

What application are you on when you do this?
On a standard machine this doesnt seem to happen unless you have a shotcut key configured.
What exactly happens the screen?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Hi Sam

Your using Windows XP on Windows 2003 server ?

What do you mean ? Terminal services, VM ware or what ..

I dont understand what you mean by using XP on Win2k3

I assumed he meant wxp on a w3k network.
Did you?

Hey,

Yeah, sorry I did mean a wxp on a w3k network. Basically if you hold down Alt Gr and the left arrow then the top of the screen will be on the left hand side of the screen, so in a effect the screen image is on it's side, if you press it with the down button then the screen is flipped upside down, the up key returns it back to normal and the right key is the opposite to the left key. It works whether multiple programs are running or not. I had some anti-virus software, Norton Ghost, and MSN messenger running, but I have also disabled them all and tested it and it still works. Any ideas?

Cheers

Sam

"You couldn't fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine." - Homer

Yes,
This is not a standard feature of XP. I assume that there is some other software runing in the back ground of which these are shortcut keys.
Just for interests sake, can you download a copy of hijack this! (do a search in google) run it and post the log here. I would like to see what processare running and see if we can narrow ir down to a software application.

AltGR = Alt + Ctrl internally.

For Nvidia-based graphics controllers you can use Alt+Ctrl sequences to flip the screen around. Usefull if you have a pivoting monitor.

But this is not a "Windows" feature.

Hey,

Cheers for clearing that up bcastner, i did find out that a program call HKCMD.exe which configures keyboard hotkeys was running, and once I stopped this running the screen no longer flipped around. I was just surprised I had not come across this before.

Cheers for your help

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back