Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alt-disk-install (AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reneford

Programmer
Dec 16, 2004
CA
Is it possible to use alt_disk_install to
change the OS level? To migrate to ?

Without using NIM, without using mksysb...

if you can't use nimadm alt migration, then you could clone your system on alternate disk and then perform its migration in standard way - booting from AIX 5.3 media and performing migration of system clone...

btw. if you have some spare box of the same type your AIX 5.2 system is running, you can do alt_disk_install clone of your system on AIX52 box, the hot swap drive with this clone to a spare box and do upgrade there. When it is completed, you can mount disk again in your original AIX 5.2 box and boot your migrated system (you did on spare box)

yes, you can use alt_disk_install to migrate.

Clone to a spare disk (or split your rootvg mirror if you need to).

You can either boot from clone, or upgrade the running instance. As a precaution, i would boot to the clone, and then upgrade that.

If you have HACMP or other application which have their own/customized entries in /etc/services, check after the migration if you are not affected by problem:

- - logged during migration process- - - - - -
Restoring files, please wait.
596 files restored.
Group exists no need create snapp group.
Exiting ...
./bos.net.tcp.client.post_i[144]: /usr/bin/grep: arg list too long
006-008 Warning: Failed to merge /etc/services and /lpp/save.config/etc/services.answer..
logFileSize=0
numLogFiles=0
- - - - - - - -

The problem with installation post installation script caused that customized entries in /etc/services were not migrated from AIX 5.2 and to get HACMP working /etc/services had to be corrected manually.

I think the problem didn't occured when I migrated AIX via nimadm. I get the error only when migrated cloned system in boot way. (in both cases I used the same NIM spot/lpp_source resources) - they where on TL7 SP4 level.

Yes it's possible. I've completed about 6 upgrades this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back