Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alt Ctrl Delete, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hisham

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
How I can prevent the “Alt Ctrl Delete”, Or What is the Event that occurs when I click “Alt Ctrl Delete”. Thanks in Advance

Hisham -

You can't. That particular keystroke sequence is built into the PC hardware (generates a NMI interrupt) and can only be caught when the CPU is running in privledged mode. And if you're running Windows NT, the only way your code will be able to do that is via a keyboard driver. And I doubt even then, as NT calls it the "Secure Attention Sequence", and the NT kernel may catch it even before the keyboard driver.

You might have a chance of catching this keystroke group if you're running Windows 9x, but a keyboard driver would still be required.

If you're looking to hook into the NT logon sequence, look at the Visual C sample called "Gina". A Gina DLL is a "C" DLL which is called to verify logon credentials. You still can't trap the SAS, but you might be able to perform other actions based on receiving a logon, logoff request.

Chip H.

There is a way for Windows95/98 but I think none for WinNT. If you want the solution for 95/98, let me know.

Tom

The only way to trap Ctrl-Alt-Del in a NT or 2000 environment is by using a kernel-mode device driver.

You can download a shareware version from Flexware Integration's Tazion development group. The COM version provides a simple interface to the driver.

I'm a little partial since I helped write it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back