Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerishere

Technical User
Jul 14, 2003
US
I actually was here on the last crash, and I heard a clunk like the drive does when you tell it to hibernate I think it is.....but I do not have that option on.
I do have the monitor go to sleep but the PC does not use any power options for 'it', just the monitor but it had not been 10 mins since it had been rebooted and Iwas typing
This is the first time it has happened when I was actually working on the PC

Tiger

Crash during use will probably indicate loss of control of the head movement hardware.
If you can get it back operational, back any valuable data up, and prepare to replace the drive.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Man, this is a brand spanking new WD 120 gig drive
Are there some utils that might 'see' and confirm this ?

I do a scandisk adn defrag as needed.

weird as I have been downloading files as fast as I can and no problem while burning a CD which had a full 700MB to burn.

Thanks for the advice but I sure want some other tests I might can run. It is totally under warranty but before I hose it all I sure would like some util that can run a battery of tests.

Thanks again
Tiger

WD site has some diagnostic software. Or did have, since I haven't been there for months.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks Ed, I had a WD a long time ago and yea, I remember that as well but this is like 3 years ago.

I will look there and also going to get with asus on this motherboards with the 2 NICs in it.
It is a very popular MB though, highly rated
I also recall another blue screen that went away after a new firewall was installed...a wgw.sys caused one
I think though it was the same type, the irq_not......etc..etc
But for weeks nothing happened after I removed and reinstalled ZA.

Then this, argh
I am tempted to remove ZA in total and run it without the firewall a few days
It has not crashed since late last night and I had a lot of things running all night.
Kazaa was running yet the other times it was not, lol

and last week I had tons of big downloads like 350meg for a mod for a game.
Not a problem and it was doing as much data movement via the NIC as it can.....then again if it's a timing issue I guess that is not it huh, or the HD....

Again, thanks !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back