Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALPHABETICALLY ? FILES/FOLDERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedevil1

MIS
Apr 13, 2003
GB

Is there a WIN'ME proramme that lets you put your folders/files, or other information in alphabetical order.
ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. Thanks in advanced.

What do you mean? If you open explorer, the files in the right hand pane can be put in alphabetical order by just clicking on the name tab at the top (cleick again to reverse order).

Or from a dos box, you can run dir command with /ON switch (you can save this to a file if you want hard copy - > file.ext - ie, dir *.* /ON > file.txt).

Or you can create a database (much software here - most of it costs money) of information (or filenames). Then use database utility to order data how you would like (eg, Word, which is just a word processor will let you sort a file in alphabetical order).

So - some ideas - but could answer better if had clearer idea of what you are trying to do.

I wish to put artists and song titles in alphabetical order - is there anyway to do that on windows me.

if your viewing your files in a window choose detail view arrange files by name then click name at the top

thanks buckeyecomputers, i'll try this.let you know if works. as i'm putting Artists(singers), and theie songs in and hopefully this will automatically put them in alpabetical order.

even with them in order when you add new they will usually go to the end of the folder until you close windows or refresh.. and sometimes you may have to arrange by name again

thanks buckeyecomputers; i'll give it a go, also i'll let me friend know, as they are a "dj", & it will be helpful for them. i will see my m8 next week & i'll find out. keep you posted. thanks in advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back