Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alphabetical Order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slackerksg5

Programmer
Feb 5, 2008
US
My problem is retrieving data from a sql table called "section". The portion that I want is s_name(Section Name), but I am attempting to grab them one at a time using an increment of which ever page I am on.

So my attempt at doing this is as follows...

SELECT s_name INTO :inspectionName FROM section WHERE s_id = :index ORDER BY s_name USING sqlca;

index is the page I am on and the row I need to grab, but obviously this doesn't work, because it gives me the name for whichever index I am at. Therefore if I had a,c,b,d,g,f,e in the database that would be the way in which I retrieved it even though what I was looking for was a,b,c,d,e,f,g any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh I also attempted to use that above query and load the values into an array, but was unable to sort the array... Maybe I simply over looked something.

Have you tried to sort the data in the datawindow rather than the SQL?

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

Actually I have, and I can't seem to do it alphabetically. Here is my code maybe I am doing something fine, but it does work for Numerical values which would have been nice to know when I was garbing ID's rather than names =/.

And actually I did a datastore, which you should know is practically a datawindow that isn't drawn on the painter.

datastore lds_temp
string ls_err

string ll_array[] = { "A","B","C" }
string ls_dsdef = &
'release 6; datawindow() table(column=(type=varchar name=a dbname="a") )'

lds_temp = CREATE datastore
lds_temp.Create(ls_dsdef, ls_err)
lds_temp.object.a.current = ll_array
lds_temp.SetSort("a ASC")
lds_temp.Sort()
ll_array = lds_temp.object.a.current

FOR i = 1 to Upperbound(ll_array)
MessageBox("", string(ll_array))
NEXT

DESTROY lds_temp

As far as I can see in your code

SELECT s_name INTO :inspectionName FROM section WHERE s_id = :index ORDER BY s_name USING sqlca;

this will retrieve only one row.

create a datawindow with the following retrieve:

select "s_name" from "section" where "s_id" = :arg1 order by "s_name"

use the datawindow painter in Ide to create the datawindow. it is the easiest way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back