Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alpha 5 - moved files from win 98 work station to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveImme

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
US
We have a couple of pc's that run alpha 5 on 98 boxes, however the program and data is on a novell server. The problem we have is that we replaced their win 98 boxes with XP pro and copied the shortcut from the 98 boxes. They can do everything they were able to do before the swap, EXCEPT now they cannot edit a record. They can create, delete, etc but they cannot edit a file (??) They enter data onto existing records, but they just do not write to the files. I'm stumped.

This is puzzling to me. I have ensured they have the appropriate rights on the novell server. We also set the program work work in XP to emulate a win 95/98 environment...no luck.

Anyone??

Do I take it you haven't installed the program on the XP boxes? Even if the software is installed on the server you should have an installation disk somewhere that will let you "install" the software on the XP boxes. It should have options to let you continue using the server installed exe files and data files. But there are probably local machine DLL and registry key issues which are causing the problems you are experiencing.

When we were swapping out the pc's, we looked for our old install diskettes (yes..that old) and could not find it, so we copied the shortcut and it worked!..or so, we thought......

Now, of course, if i could get my hands on a copy of Alpha 5 of this version, I certainly would....but this was done by a private consultant several years ago and though we are going to procure new software for the drug court, we still need to use this in the meantime.....

You have a copy of the installation diskettes??

[blue]DaveImme[/blue]
You have a copy of the installation diskettes??

Unfortunately not. I was speaking from general experience. If the links linney provided don't help then you may be able to get it working by using regedit and searching for registry keys on the old system that mention alpha5 and setting them up by hand on the new machines. This will be a bit of a pain of course! Some keys may mentions DLL's that you should be able to copy over.

Thanks Linney...I'll check that out and also stduc....yeah, i thought about duping the info in the registry, but that will be a last resort.....

Thanks guys and I'll see if any of these works and post back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back