Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha's resellers software. Demo mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quest4Knowledge

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2012
US
I am my companies IT. We just opened up a new rest and have been basically thrown head first into Aloha. Im tired of calling the help line all the time. Feel bad for the tech guys, so Im to the point now where I just want access to the KB doc's. My goal is to learn everything and anything I can about Aloha BOH. I have come to realize that Aloha has a never ending amount of possibilites. It really depends on how much time you want to spend trying to learn how to do it and how comp literate you are. Someone PLZ help me find the help I need to teach myself everything there is to know.
My last question I asked tech support I got the reply of "We dont know how to do that, I know you can, Ill have to call the programers to find out." I also just recently built my own POS out of a mini tower and a touch screen. I did all the config settings myself and it works great, plus I saved my boss Tons of $$$$$!!!!

SOMEBODY!!!!!! ANYBODY!!!!!!! That can be my mentor on this topic plz respond!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know incontrolpos.com offers training for what you're talking about. I'm thinking about taking their training classes as well since we now have to deal with the same issues (integrating our product with Aloha).

Joshua

QFK,
There are really two subsets of Aloha knowledge

1) How to work with the User software settings to get Aloha looking and reporting the way you want to.

2) Having the skills of getting the system back up after it crashes, has EOD issues, bad batch issues, hardware failures, & other tips to uprighting a down system.

The first subset is really just getting involved with the business itself and finding out form the owners and managers on how they want to run the restaurant, how the front of house screen flow needs to go, the specials and events they need setup, report settings from the back of house, and all the other fun stuff they would need as time goes by. At the end of the the day it will take you a couple of years to get all that down if you do it on your own. Sometimes its a trial and error kind of thing and you will not always, but sometimes be calling the helpdesk for assistance.

The second subset, of knowing all the little secrets that Aloha re sellers use to get these systems up is another issue I have worked with Aloha for about 7 years and have rarely ever used Aloha Knowledge Base documents to get systems up and running. Its really an On The Job skill set learned by working at a re seller. Some may disagree but when you work a helpdesk for a re seller with a couple hundred customers you just learn it by watching the geeks who have come before you do it. It would be tough if working only in your restaurant group to learn it because you just won't have the constant practice of doing it to make it a quick solution for your company.

Long answer short. Learn the software configurations for your company and be the man, but leave the system down, EOD, CC batch issues, to the reseller guys and purchase a Support Plan from them that allots for that. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Shoot from the hip.

-TA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back